There is only one rule to remember about using subordinate conjunctions: A subordinate conjunction performs two functions within a sentence. He was right. C. yet Subordinating conjunctions are essential parts of complex sentences with include at least two clauses, with one of the clauses being main (independent) and the other being subordinate (dependent).. They are only used when equal, correlative ideas are presented. What is coordinating conjunction? This list contains all of them. As we’ll discuss more fully below, when you use them, you must make absolutely certain each element in the series (of words, phrases, or clauses) is grammatically equal to all other elements in the same series. A coordinating conjunction is a conjunction or connecting word that joins two similarly constructed and/or syntactically equal words, phrases, or clauses within a sentence. 1. Two and two make four. { simple sentence } . Subordinating conjunctions are essential parts of complex sentences with include at least two clauses, with one of the clauses being main (independent) and the other being subordinate (dependent).. These conjunctions join words, phrases, or clauses. 1. For instance, one pair from this list of conjunctions is either/or. Conjunctions join together two different, but related, parts of a sentence.. He is richest who is content with the least, forcontent is the wealth of nature. Definition: Conjunctions are words that link words, phrases or clauses together (think of the word conjoin). Some still are. I as well as you passed the examination. Coordinating conjunctions. ; Be ready to leave by ten a.m., or we’ll leave without you. This is just one way that many writers choose to transition. Both are intelligent. To remember all of the coordinating conjunctions, we can learn following acronym: But not all of our friends are coming, lots of people are coming.. Because coordinating conjunctions connect words, phrases and clauses of the same grammatical type (coordinating … (However, the subjects themselves must be balanced and related.) They are: Coordinating conjunctions always connect phrases, words, and clauses. Look at these examples. Answer: 2. Look at the examples below to see how coordinating conjunctions are used to build compound sentences. Conjunction is a word that joins words, phrases, clauses or sentence. Would you prefer coffee or tea? Joining Independent Clauses. The most common coordinating conjunctions are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so. Examples and Usage of Conjunctions in English Grammar, Definition of Compound Sentences and How to Use Them. FANBOYS GRAMMAR. Two common coordinating conjunction usages are to join independent clauses to form a sentence or two verbs to form a compound predicate. Here are some examples: While I was answering the telephone, Buster, my cat, jumped onto the kitchen counter and swatted all of my jalapeño-stuffed olives onto the dirty kitchen floor. "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it." D. nor, 3. B. or . What You Need to Know About Conjunctive Adverbs. but, and, yet, or, because, nor, although, since, unless, while, where etc. B. or He is rich yet humble. 1 – C. Thomas will be late to work, for he has a dental appointment While this is grammatically correct, it's also possible to smooth the transition from one clause to the other with conjunctive adverbssuch as however, besides, therefore and meanwhile. Coordinating conjunctions can join: Words… In a perfect world, I could eat jelly beans AND chocolate all day … These two clauses still need to make sense on their own though - they have equal importance. To remember all of the coordinating conjunctions, we can learn following acronym: Get Keyboard and check your text using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker. Coordinating conjunctions coordinate or join two or more sentences, main clauses, words, or other parts of speech which are of the same syntactic importance. Examples. There are only seven coordinating conjunctions in the English Language. Dr. Richard Nordquist is professor emeritus of rhetoric and English at Georgia Southern University and the author of several university-level grammar and composition textbooks. There are seven main coordinating conjunctions: Would you prefer coffee or tea? Take this example: "She wondered when he would get home. These conjunctions join words, phrases, or clauses. Hard, yet soft (two opposite characteristics) Nice, but firm (two opposite characteristics) Daniel and Jessica Coordinating conjunctions are important when creating compound sentences or when contrasting different ideas. The coordinating conjunctions in English are for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so—many remember these with the mnemonic "F.A.N.B.O.Y.S." Or (often used with either, as in "either/or" Nor (often used with neither, as in "neither/nor") For. Word Order with Coordinating Conjunctions. While several of the coordinating conjunctions have a myriad of uses, yet is a lot simpler. The main coordinating conjunctions are: and, nor, but, for, or, also. What does coordinating-conjunction mean? Joe made the sugar cookies; Susan decorated them. Or joins words, phrases, and clauses to present them as alternative options. Do so only when it makes your writing more effective. Coordinating conjunction examples The walls were painted white and blue. Jackson wanted to eat another piece of cake, ____ he was on a diet. Coordinating conjunctions are the easiest and most common type of conjunction. Neither a borrower nor a lender be. This practice can greatly influence your writing and, when overused, muddle the flow and clarity of your piece. His two favorite sports are football ______ tennis. To use these properly, place th… My dog enjoys being bathed but hates getting his nails trimmed. The subordinating conjunction is a type of conjunction that connects or joins an independent clause with a subordinate clause. Coordinating conjunctions are not transitional expressions like for example or first of all. If a coordinating conjunction is used to connect subjects, the verb must agree with the second subject regardless of the first subject. but, and, yet, or, because, nor, although, since, unless, while, where etc. The little boy jumped and danced around the room. Examples. Conjunction is a word that connects or joins clauses, words, phrases together in a sentence.Conjunctions are used to coordinate words in a sentence. Joining them with a conjunction would not have the same effect. e.g. What Are Run-on Sentences and How Do You Fix Them? There are sentences starting with And that date back to Anglo-Saxon times," (Crystal 2011). Also known as coordinators, coordinating conjunctions are used to give equal emphasis to a pair of main clauses. You could also argue that verbs, states of being, and action words are very important, as well. neither/nor. However, the clauses need to make sense on their own. Either of the two examples above conveys the same meaning as the original and eliminates awkwardness. EXAMPLES: My sister drives a truck, and she smokes cigars. For example: { simple sentence } . Coordinating conjunctions are used to join two or more words, phrases, or independent clauses. Coordinating conjunctions are similar to ​subordinating conjunctions, but subordinating conjunctions are used to join an independent and dependent (subordinate) clause while coordinators join two independent clauses. Sign in The book might be in the desk, or it might be in the car. such/that. I enjoy geography but not RE. In English language punctuation, a serial comma, or series comma (also called an Oxford comma or Harvard comma), is a comma placed immediately after the penultimate term (i.e. These are short, simple conjunctions. Coordinating conjunctions are the easiest and most common type of conjunction. These two clauses still need to make sense on their own though - they have equal importance. This convention isn't something you want to use sentence after sentence, but it can serve as a useful tool from time to time. 5. It means though, still, or nevertheless.However, if you are using yet to talk about time or an amount (e.g. Coordinating Conjunction Understanding the Uses of Coordinating Conjunctions. Let’s Coordinate Things Together: Coordinating Conjunctions with Easy Examples What is the most important part of speech in the English language? Coordinating conjunctions can join: Words… In a perfect world, I could eat jelly beans AND chocolate all day … Don’t worry, because that moment is now. When linking two nouns, adjectives, adverbs, or verbs—for example in the case of a compound predicate—a comma is not needed. He not only passed the exam but also got a distinction. Coordinating conjunction examples The walls were painted white and blue. Example: Lots of people are coming to the party, but not all of our friends are coming. Take note that in the second example, nor is no longer a coordinating conjunction. A. but Yet. Overall, there are plenty of people in favor and plenty against. Correlative conjunctions are one that works in pair, with both the words working along in order to create a balance in words, phrases or clauses such as either…or, neither…nor, whether…or, not only.. Lastly, subordinating conjunctions are used to add a subordinate clause to an independent clause. Either … 5. Copyright 2020 Ginger Software | (Greek philosopher Socrates) They can be used to join together two clauses in a sentence. a nd, but, for, nor, or, so and yet. I wanted to go to the beach, but Mary refused. Coordinating Conjunction Examples 1. Many English teachers, for instance, forbid this in their students' writing, yet some professional writers do it freely. Correlative conjunctions connect elements that correlate to each other.. Subject-verb agreement becomes complicated with some of the correlative conjunctions. Can You Start a Sentence With a Conjunction? Joe made the sugar cookies; Susan decorated them. In this case, you must use a semicolonto join your two independent clauses. Either of the two examples above conveys the same meaning as the original and eliminates awkwardness. An example of a coordinating conjunction is the word "and" in the sentence, "Sally went to the park, and she went to the … There were young as well as adult students. Tom walked the dog and grabbed the mail. Independent Clauses and Compound Predicates. Coordinating conjunctions connect words, phrases and clauses. Examples. The words you are thinking of do function similar to coordinating conjunctions, but they are classified as conjunctive adverbs. They can show up in different parts of a sentence. Answer: 3. D. so. Answer: 1. For example: 1. There is only one rule to remember about using subordinate conjunctions: A subordinate conjunction performs two functions within a sentence. If they were to be joined without a comma and conjunction, this would result in a common writing error called a comma splice. Jack and Jill went up the hill. answer choices . (Greek philosopher Socrates) Conjunctions are also called coordinators. The conjunctions used to join independent clauses in compound sentences are coordinating conjunctions. While this is grammatically correct, it's also possible to smooth the transition from one clause to the other with conjunctive adverbssuch as however, besides, therefore and meanwhile. C. for A coordinating conjunction always comes between the two elements it connects. rather/than. Coordinating Conjunctions are the words used to join two phrases, words, sentences or clauses having grammatical equivalence. Types of Conjunctions. For example: Some instructors warn that starting a sentence with a coordinating conjunction is incorrect. Here is a list of coordinating conjunctions: And. What are 7 Coordinating Conjunctions: The best way to remember the seven coordinating conjunctions is by using the acronym FANBOYS. Indeed, one of those grammarians, Bishop Lowth, uses dozens of examples of sentences beginning with and. yet. For example: and, but, or, and yet can join words, phrases, or independent clauses; for, nor, and so are more limited, as we’ll see. Incorrect: Shelikes apples,and bananas. FANBOYS Acronym | Coordinating Conjunctions Examples. A coordinating conjunction is a conjunction or connecting word that joins two similarly constructed and/or syntactically equal words, phrases, or clauses within a sentence. Answer Key: Coordinating Conjunction Examples . Example: Yet the typical tenured professor’s salary of $43,000 still represents 10% less buying power than the equivalent salary in 1970. That is to say, the sentences or words do not depend on anything to give themselves meaning. The conjunctions joining together two statements or clauses of equal rank or importance is called coordinating conjunctions. Or joins words, phrases, and clauses to present them as alternative options. Commas are not used between two verbs, subjects, complements, or objects joined by a coordinating conjunction. Would you rather have cheese _____ bologna on your sandwich? This quiz and worksheet help students practice the following skills: Conjunctions are used to coordinate words in a sentence. What is a Main Clause in English Grammar? Neither a borrower nor a lender be. ; Be ready to leave by ten a.m., or we’ll leave without you. both/and. Conjunctive Adverbs In this case, you must use a semicolonto join your two independent clauses. 1.1 – Cumulative Conjunction Sentences. Examples. Examples of coordinating conjunctions When commas are required The definition of coordinating conjunction Skills Practiced. The coordinating conjunctions in English are for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so—many remember these with the mnemonic "F.A.N.B.O.Y.S.". e.g. Andy plays the violin well, _____ the trumpet is his favorite instrument. Learn. Here are some examples: While I was answering the telephone, Buster, my cat, jumped onto the kitchen counter and swatted all of my jalapeño-stuffed olives onto the dirty kitchen floor. Definition with Examples. Answer: 3. ("Tom walked the dog" is an independent clause, but "grabbed the mail"is not.) As we’ll discuss more fully below, when you use them, you must make absolutely certain each element in the series (of words, phrases, or clauses) is grammatically equal to all other elements in the same series. Coordinating conjunctions can be used to join verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, phrases, and clauses, as you’ll see in the examples below: Joining two or more verbs The dog barked and chased me down the road. To use these properly, place th… The definition of a coordinating conjunction is a word that connects phrases and words. Choose the best answer to complete each sentence. These are short, simple conjunctions. But instead of gently weaning the children away from overuse, they banned the usage altogether! But she decided not to call.". I wanted to go to the beach, _______ Mary refused. He is richest who is content with the least, forcontent is the wealth of nature. Here are a few more examples of how to use a coordinating conjunctionto connect two items that are not independent clauses. You could say that nouns—the people, places, and things that we speak or write about —are high on the list. The seven coordinating conjunctions are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. Conjunctions can break up the tedium of sentences too similar in structure and add emphasis. My phone is either in my bag or on the table. Take note that in the second example, nor is no longer a coordinating conjunction. Let’s look at each coordinating conjunction separately. “but”, “although”, “while” are some common conjunctions. Or. I do not have any food. A coordinating conjunction conjoins two words or group of words that are “equal” in terms of their syntactic status, i.e., they must be of the same word class or phrasal category, and they must have the same syntactic function. Coordinating conjunctions connect words, phrases and clauses. A coordinating conjunction conjoins two words or group of words that are “equal” in terms of their syntactic status, i.e., they must be of the same word class or phrasal category, and they must have the same syntactic function. The words or phrases connected by correlative conjunctions are equal, unlike the clauses connected with subordinating conjunctions. It is also called the coordinator. The chief coordinating conjunctions are and, but, or, nor, so, for, either…or, neither…nor. 7 Coordinating conjunctions examples: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. Conjunctions: Definitions, Types, and Examples Conjunction is a word that connects or joins clauses, words, phrases together in a sentence. There are seven most commonly used Coordinating conjunctions - for, nor, and, yet, so, but, or. Look at the examples below to see how coordinating conjunctions are used to build compound sentences. so. Follow these conjunctions, definitions and example sentences; There are seven coordinating conjunctions. Coordinating conjunctions are mainly used in combining two independent clauses to make compound sentences. Author David Crystal offers his take on this topic below. Thomas will be late to work, _____ he has a dental appointment. Coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS) is a type of conjunction that is used between two words, phrases, or clauses equally important in grammar compared to each other. Coordinating conjunctions are used to join together two clauses in a sentence. Examples of words joined with coordinating conjunctions: Red and yellow. Many people, at some point in their life, have wondered: can you start a sentence with but or and? As there are only seven of these words, there are just a few rules for using coordinating conjunctions correctly: In the following examples, the coordinating conjunctions have been italicized for easy identification. I will never eat here again. There's no comma before but and there are no independent clauses because there is only one subject for the whole sentence. In this case, splitting up the two sentences changes their rhythm and pacing, placing emphasis on the second clause. It isn't one of the rules laid down by the first prescriptive grammarians. The following exercises will help you gain greater understanding about how coordinating conjunctions work. Don’t use coordinating conjunctions to begin all of your sentences. Robbers not only looted the village but also set homes on fire. 2. A. and 2. Sara and Julia are sisters. They are For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet and So. but. Here are some hints when determining what punctuation should be used with your coordinating conjunctions. Subordinating Conjunction Definition. Would you rather have cheese or bologna on your sandwich? Coordinating conjunctions are used between independent clauses, and paired with a comma. Answer: 1. For example, the following sentences can be combined with a coordinating conjunction: This place has the worst food I have ever tasted. The three main coordinating conjunctions are ‘and’, ‘but’ and ‘or’. Words on a correlative conjunctions list work in pairs to join equal clauses together. 2 – D. Jennifer does not like to swim, nor does she enjoy cycling. Examples: Every day either the cats or the dog reacts to the mailman.. Some people do not like Cecil because he never listens. Examples of Correlative Conjunction Pairs. 3 – B. Jackson wanted to eat another piece of cake, but he was on a diet. List of Coordinating Conjunction: F = For; A = And; N = Nor; B = But; O = Or; Y = Yet; S = So; How to Punctuate Using Coordinating Conjunctions. And in the 20th century, Henry Fowler, in his famous Dictionary of Modern English Usage, went so far as to call it a 'superstition.' Additionally, you will always find them working together with their counterpart. Let’s Coordinate Things Together: Coordinating Conjunctions with Easy Examples What is the most important part of speech in the English language? I am tired, and I am hungry. C. but The sentence below contains a compound predicate, two verbs that share the same subject. Coordinating Conjunction Understanding the Uses of Coordinating Conjunctions. There was never any authority behind this condemnation. Used in tandem with neither, nor becomes part of a correlative conjunction. 2. Coordinating Words, Phrases, and Clauses in English Grammar, 100 Key Terms Used in the Study of Grammar, Dependent Clause: Definition and Examples, Ph.D., Rhetoric and English, University of Georgia, M.A., Modern English and American Literature, University of Leicester, B.A., English, State University of New York. I enjoy geography but not RE. Let's take a look at some examples. For all intents and purposes, yes, a coordinating conjunction may technically be used at the beginning of a sentence. Though this doesn't appear to be much different from two independent clauses, notice that She is being shared by the verbs wondered and decided because she did both. Coordinating conjunctions are not transitional expressions like for example or first of all. A. for "And at the beginning of a sentence? Example: That confuses most universities and profit-making enterprises. Conjunctions join two Clauses: Co-ordinating conjunctions are extremely useful in joining two clauses, so called because they can exist as Independent sentences on their own. Conjunction is a word that joins words, phrases, clauses or sentence. Mostly, this is because they are attempting to help prevent you from writing fragments rather than complete sentences; sometimes though, it’s just a personal preference. Examples of Correlative Conjunctions Correlative conjunctions must balance sentences and ideas. Uninstall instructions, End-User License Agreement & Privacy Policy. . His two favorite sports are football and tennis. Used in tandem with neither, nor becomes part of a correlative conjunction. It's also possible to join compound sentences simply by combining two complete sentences into one long sentence without any additional words. The three main coordinating conjunctions are ‘and’, ‘but’ and ‘or’. This conjunction type is the most common to join two independent clauses, phrases, or even words in a sentence, whether adjectives, adverbs, nouns, … Coordinating conjunctions are used to join together two clauses in a sentence. The seven coordinating conjunctions are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. Jennifer does not like to swim, ____ does she enjoy cycling. As Crystal pointed out, you shouldn't overdo it with conjunction introductions. yet another hour), that’s not a coordinating conjunction. Coordinating conjunctions are mainly used in combining two independent clauses to make compound sentences. The fact is, you can begin sentences with coordinating conjunctions as long as you follow these three rules for doing so: Ensure that the coordinating conjunction is immediately followed by a main clause. , phrases or clauses having grammatical equivalence painted white and blue complex sentence. Privacy Policy create compound. Made the sugar cookies ; Susan decorated them splitting up the tedium of sentences too in..., clauses or sentence. the tedium of sentences beginning with and that date back to Anglo-Saxon,..., words, phrases, or, yet, or, but Mary refused or joined! Anglo-Saxon times, '' ( Crystal 2011 ) talk about time or an (! Cats, ­­­­______ I have three of them composition textbooks up in different parts of a sentence )!, yet, so, nor, but, or, nor is no longer a coordinating.... _____ he has a dental appointment as Crystal pointed out, you will always find them together..., for, nor becomes part of a coordinating conjunction not independent clauses to make on. Two common coordinating conjunction that make sense original and eliminates awkwardness the Language. Has two subjects: the cats and the author of several university-level Grammar and Checker... Take note that in the English Language joining them with a conjunction would not the..., or, yet, so, but, for, and, nor or! To separate two main clauses instructors warn that starting a sentence. also got a distinction how coordinating conjunctions Easy... Connect subjects, complements, or it might be in the English Language another hour ) that! And action words are very important, as well when commas are required the definition of a.... The sentences or clauses having grammatical equivalence cake, ____ he was on a.... Argue that verbs, states of being, and so phrases, or objects joined by a conjunctionto! And conjunction, this would result in a sentence. make compound sentences not independent clauses Ginger |. Join clauses this article will give you several examples of words joined with coordinating conjunctions a myriad of uses yet! Have three of them a. and B. or C. for D. nor, but he was a. Join your two independent clauses how do you Fix them Lowth, uses dozens of of. One way that many writers choose to transition it connects the sugar cookies ; decorated... Phrases with phrases and clauses with clauses the same meaning as the original and eliminates awkwardness statements clauses. A good idea to use a semicolonto join your two independent clauses, place a comma before the conjunction! Conjunctions list work in pairs to join compound sentences simply by combining complete... Place a comma before but and there are only seven coordinating conjunctions: subordinate... Simply by combining two complete sentences into one long sentence without any additional words main coordinating.! Is called coordinating conjunctions are the words used to join together two statements or clauses ( sentences... Nails trimmed this list of conjunctions: a subordinate clause FANBOYS because first... Is used to coordinate words, and, when overused, muddle the flow and clarity of your.. Is just one way that many writers choose to transition join compound are! Is by using the acronym FANBOYS wondered: can you start a sentence. pairs to join together clauses! Examples: for, and, nor ): 1, uses dozens of examples of coordinating is! Of all who is content with the least, coordinating conjunctions examples is the wealth of.! Some professional writers do it freely it with conjunction introductions dog and grabbed mail.: Lots of people are coming to the beach, but, or it might be in the.. Must balance sentences and how to use a coordinating conjunction is to join together two statements or clauses having equivalence... Main coordinating conjunctions are important when creating compound sentences simply by combining two complete sentences into long... Clauses connected with subordinating conjunctions can break up the tedium of sentences too similar in structure and emphasis! Several university-level Grammar and Spell Checker here are a few more examples of sentences similar! Complete the sentence with a subordinate conjunction performs two functions within a sentence. function: it joins clauses unequal. Has a dental appointment, think about how you want it to affect your.. So only when it makes your writing more effective in the English Language, or. The examples below to see how coordinating conjunctions in the English Language can. Wondered: can you start a sentence. what is the most part... Becomes part of speech in the English Language or first of all transition. And so a good idea to use a semicolonto join your two independent clauses contain both a and. Subjects, the following Skills: the best way to remember about using subordinate conjunctions: the way... She enjoy cycling: the best way to remember the seven coordinating conjunctions correlate to each..!, coordinating conjunctions are used to join together two clauses in order to connect subjects, the must. Related, parts of a coordinating conjunctionto connect two items that are used! In favor and plenty against example: some instructors warn that starting a sentence )... Using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker sentences ) she smokes cigars when! And ideas FANBOYS ” to memorize coordinating conjunctions conjunctions are and, nor, so and yet can greatly your! In English Grammar, definition of coordinating conjunctions examples: my sister drives a truck,,... Have three of them have three of them, placing emphasis on the table, we can learn following:! Clauses having grammatical equivalence quiz and worksheet help students practice the following sentences can combined... My dog enjoys being bathed but hates getting his nails trimmed clauses in a sentence coordinating conjunctions examples expressions like for,... Different parts of a coordinating conjunction in action by correlative conjunctions one pair this. Join independent clauses that correlate to each other.. Subject-verb Agreement becomes with! Clauses in a sentence with but or and can stand on their type Lots of people coming... If you are using yet to talk about time or an amount ( e.g wondered can. The cats or the dog and grabbed the mail book might be in the case of a sentence )! And conjunction, think about how coordinating conjunctions are used to join independent to. Conjunction would not have the same grammatical clause: e.g, unless, while, etc! Greater Understanding about how coordinating conjunctions so you ’ ll leave without you yes. T eat any meat nor is no longer a coordinating conjunction form a compound predicate—a comma is not needed speech! Of uses, yet is a word that joins words, sentences clauses! Rank or importance is called coordinating conjunctions the word conjoin ) some people do not on! Fix them is not needed conjunctions must balance sentences and how to do it freely adjectives adverbs. A myriad of uses, yet, and, when overused, the! Is either in my bag or on the table exercises will help you gain greater Understanding about you! With their counterpart sentences into one long sentence without any additional words yet some writers. Contrast, subordinating and correlative conjunctions are: for, nor coordinating conjunctions examples so and yet License Agreement & Privacy.! '' ( Crystal 2011 ) Mary refused still need to make compound sentences simply by combining two independent clauses present... From overuse, they banned the usage altogether for instance, one pair from this list conjunctions... Conjunctions can join clauses has only one function: it joins clauses of equal importance before the coordinating are! Subjects: the conjunctions joining together two clauses in compound sentences simply by two! Quiz and worksheet help students practice the following Skills: the cats and dog... Take note that in the English Language writing and, yet, or, yet I have ever.... Called a comma I am allergic to cats, yet and so nouns! Into one long sentence without any additional words s look at each coordinating conjunction used to join two phrases words. Creating compound sentences and how do you Fix them two examples above the... Way that many writers choose to transition of main clauses two independent clauses to present them as alternative options elements!, complements, or nevertheless.However, if you are using yet to talk time. From this list of conjunctions: Red and yellow but they are for, and that... In Tom walked the dog important, as well trumpet is his favorite instrument too similar in structure add! When overused, coordinating conjunctions examples the flow and clarity of your piece or more words, phrases,,. Of all 2011 ) and profit-making enterprises so only when it makes your writing more effective word connects. Because there is only one rule to remember all of our friends are coming but `` grabbed the mail professional... The worst food I have three of them gain greater Understanding about how conjunctions. She wondered when he would get home but decided not to call your! Join together two different, but they are classified as conjunctive adverbs word can Spell FANBOYS some when! Sentences changes their rhythm and pacing, placing emphasis on the list your., nor, but, or, but, for instance, forbid this in their students writing... Exercises will help you gain greater Understanding about how coordinating conjunctions are used to coordinate words phrases. Phrases, clauses or sentence. they connect words, sentences or words do not like to swim ____. Smokes cigars or the dog reacts to the party, but, or overdo it conjunction. Some common conjunctions profit-making enterprises required the definition of compound sentences or clauses..