The Shea Extra Moisture Retention shampoo provides a lot of moisture and a little goes a long way. Ideal Gift for Women & Men, NOURISHES & CLEANSES THE HAIR CUTICLE - Luxury Moisturising Cleansing Shampoo. To go straight to the list of Curly Girl approved cleansers such as co-washes and conditioners, click here. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. I have a little cat who I love very much. You can also squeeze half a lemon into your favourite conditioner and follow the process above. If you’ve left it a little too long between clarifying treatments, your hair may be in need of a moisturizing repair system rich in vitamins and fatty acids. That’s when you know it’s high time for a Curl Clarity Shampoo treatment. This is a game-changer. Due to our curls’ natural dryness, we are often prone to a sensitive scalp too. With silicones! FINALLY, SOFT HAIR WITHOUT GREASINESS: You may have noticed that many natural shampoos forget one crucial thing – your skin! If you are a super strict follower of the Curly Girl Method, there are unfortunately no shampoos in the UK which are Curly Girl approved. Instead, use a wide-tooth comb and use it only on wet hair. This purifying treatment is designed to be used once weekly and can be followed up with a no-poo conditioner as a co-wash. Textured 3c/4c type curls really benefit from this approach to hair care, as it keeps them hydrated and moisturized much longer. This method was first made popular in December 2001, when hairstylist Lorraine Massey released her hair-care guide, Curly Girl: The Handbook. It works up a nice lather and pleasant fragrance and rinses out evenly, washing all the residue out, keeping the hair’s natural oils in and sealed. What to Avoid ), Last update on 2020-12-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. This purifying shampoo works across all curl types, as well as hair that has undergone heat, chemical or colour treatments including bleach. Thank you so much for your kind comment 🙂. Shea Moisture is another very popular UK Curly Girl approved brand and the following shampoos can be used as a cleanser. Here are my top 4 moisturising conditioners for co-washing: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner, Superdrug Fruity Cherry and Almond Conditioner, Pantene Hair Biology Cleanse and Reconstruct Conditioner. This is a no-poo shampoo that’ll make a fantastic product for those of you following the CG method, and anyone looking for a pleasantly exotic fragrance and an effective cleanse. The most important thing is to find a routine that fits into your lifestyle and budget. These are perfect to use on days when you find that co-washing isn’t hitting the spot. It’s certainly not smooth. The Johnson’s baby shampoo is very popular within the Curly Girl community as it is very gentle and also on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Curly Girl Method Approved UK Products. If you suffer from allergies, irritated scalp or simply don’t want to co-wash only, these shampoos are a great alternative and work well on the Curly Girl Method. It doesn’t affect the price you pay and helps us run this blog (thanks! Don’t feel guilty about using shampoo. Some alcohols are fine to use on the Curly Girl method, but there are many alcohols which are drying. Just consider this for a minute – where would we be if we would give in to every sugar craving? Also Read: Curly Girl Transition Survival Guide, 1. Needless to say, this is a brand we trust to take care of our hair. I’ve compiled below a list of my curly girl method favourite products, with some others available in the UK. If you are a follower of the Curly Girl Method, you’ll know that finding the right products is essential. If your curls feel dry and brittle and your hair seems to easily break, you could be suffering from protein overload. My recommendation is to use lightweight products but every Curly Girl is different. Leave on for 30 mins preferably with a shower cap to keep in the heat and open the cuticle. Everywhere we turn, there’s temptation. In this article, I will list two kinds of products: 1. The main culprit is sulphate. The Vitamins Keratin Clarifying Repair Treatment offers an intensive, luxury therapy free of sulphates and parabens. It is highly recommended to use a diffuser as this helps disperse the flow of air much more evenly. However, if you are new to the method, check out my Complete Step By Step Guide which should tell you everything you need to know. Yes you should always use a conditioner after shampooing. It works across all curl types and those prone to scalp irritations needn’t worry – it’s mild and has a calming effect on the skin. A site to help you know what hair products are approved for the Curly Girl (or Guy) Method. A quick Google / YouTube search will be a good place to start. Ka-ching! The curly girl method can be a bit overwhelming and confusing, especially when you are starting up and I feel like there is a lot of new information to learn. I think I’ll go with a low poo shampoo (like Johnson’s maybe) but a quick question, if I use a low poo shampoo do I still use conditioner? Sometimes it’s good to cut out all the dangerously addictive junk in favour of a detox and, believe it or not, our skin and hair products can also be classified as “junk food” for the hair when used consistently. Welcome to Curly Girl Approved. This was super helpful, it can be a quite overwhelming researching the way forward for me! After two years of following the Curly Girl Method, I wanted to create my own, in depth guide to help fellow curly girls follow the Curly Girl Method in the easiest way possible. I would always recommend using a lightweight conditioner to replace shampoo. If you want to follow the Curly Girl Method as per Lorraine Massey’s book, there are tonnes of excellent alternatives to regular shampoo such as cleansers, co-washing products and of course, conditioner! Hi I'm Hati and my hair is naturally very curly, obviously! Kinky-Curly Come Clean Moisturizing Shampoo Kinky-Curly Come Clean Moisturizing Shampoo will remove the gunk without removing the moisture. To be honest, clarifying is not something I considered important when I first started following the curly girl method. I have just started my curly girl journey. It is exactly like shampooing, but you replace the shampoo product with a conditioner or a CG approved cleansing product. Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Curl Defining Shampoo. // As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This is sulphate. The beauty world has caught on to CGM and you can now buy co-washing products which are specifically designed for people who do not want to use shampoo. Now, remember, you can use basically any conditioner to co-wash your hair. It’ll remove the build-up but keep your colour perfectly intact. Look for moisture-based shampoos or “low poo” shampoos that are safe to use while following the curly girl method.’ Ready to find out more? There’s nothing wrong with giving in to our wants and desires now and then, but it’s just as important to give it all a break when we start to overindulge in things that may be fun in the short-term, not so healthy in the long-term. Currently using Tresemme Thermal Recovery Shampoo and Tresemme Remoisturising Conditioner and John Frieda Frizz Ease serum. The Tree to Tub Clarifying Soapberry Shampoo will make you breathe a sigh of relief when the time comes to style your hair. The following products are approved To The Rescue Moisture Boost ConditionerIntensive Care Leave-In Conditioner Wave Hello Curl Defining Conditioner… Use a scalp massager like this one and work the mixture into your hair for at least a couple of minutes. Close ... First attempt at curly girl method, I am shooketh!! The coconut-based cleansing ingredients make for a foamy, soothing experience that is enrichened with the calming properties of aloe vera, organic argan oil, chamomile and olive leaves. And don’t worry about that recent dye either – this product is completely safe on colour-treated hair. Wishing you the best of luck with the method! This is because the rough texture of towels creates friction when used against hair and in turn cause frizz. Moisturizing, Volumising & Hydrating Product. The aim is to help everyone, including wavies, embrace their natural hair. Apple cider vinegar helps to balance the PH of your hair and is great for getting rid of excess build-up on your scalp. Are Shea Moisture Products Curly Girl Approved? Final Wash The last wash before you start the Curly Girl Method. Curly Girl approved conditioners and gels available to buy in the UK, Shea Moisture is another very popular UK Curly Girl approved brand, 9 Amazing Benefits Of Using Soybean Oil For Hair. Though its deeply-cleansing formula is wonderfully mild and gentle, this shampoo has the power to remove 90% of the residue in your hair. 355 ml, The Best Shea Moisture Products For Curly Hair, The Curly Girl Method UK & Products To Use, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate & Your Hair: Ingredients and Advice, Best Leave-In Conditioners For Curly Hair, The Best Cantu Hair Products For Curly Hair, Instantly removes up to 90% of dulling residue. As is the case with chocolates and candy – it’s all good as long as you’re munching in moderation. On a straight path towards obesity, greasy skin and rotten teeth, depending on how sweet-toothed you are. One of the main reasons why you cannot use shampoo on the CG method is because they contain a lot of harsh ingredients which are damaging to your scalp and hair. Hair Repair Treatment Clarifying Shampoo. The shampoo comes in 8 fl oz and 32 fl oz and is a staple in my hair care regimen. Low-Poo- This is a shampoo that contains no sulfates and silicones and is Curly Girl Approved. In other words, it might be time to rethink your regular hair care products as “special treats” and reach for clarifying shampoos for weekly cleansing sessions instead. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is going to be to untangle your soft, super-smooth curls considering you’ve had to use so little of this purifying shampoo. So there you have it. Salt Free & Sulfate Free Shampoo for Volume Control, Deep Hydration, Moisture & Healthy, Smooth Hair. Aunt Jackie’s Moisturizing & Softening Shampoo is exactly what you need to get your locks back on track. We may earn a commission when you buy through our links. Why? The reason for this is that if you are using only water-soluble hair products such as silicone and wax free products, then you do not need shampoo (or sulphates) to cleanse to your hair. Remember, it is your decision whether you want to use conditioner only or CG friendly shampoo. The curly girl method is a set of guidelines on the proper maintenance for naturally textured hair. With a creamy consistency, this shampoo will give back your curls their natural bounce and shine. This is a game-changer. Johnson’s Baby Shampoo - Pure and Gentle, Noughty To The Rescue Moisture Boost Shampoo. UK Curly Girl friendly low-poo shampoos which do not contain sulphates. An essential read for anyone just starting out. To go straight to the list of UK Curly Girl friendly low-poo shampoos, click here. You’re stripping it of oil, only to replace moisture with silicone amongst other chemicals. They can also help if you have too much protein in your hair. If you’re a fan of the Johnson’s baby shampoo, these three shampoos are CG friendly and can be used as a cleanser: Johnson’s Baby Shampoo - No More Tangles. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. The Tree to Tub brand stands by its motto, “just purity, nothing weird”, and as such, this naturally cleansing shampoo with antifungal properties, does not contain toxins, sulphate, SLS, parabens or any other chemicals. This was very helpful and a good read, thank you. I find that the best way to combat oily, greasy or itchy scalp is to do an apple cider vinegar rinse or a Lemonaid rinse as per Lorraine Massey’s book Curly Girl The Handbook. Coconut can function as a protein mimicker and some Curly Girls try to avoid coconut altogether. This is because the CG Method encourages co-washing only meaning conditioner washing. You may also notice breakage and loss of shine. Yes, your hair feels amazing after it has been conditioned but think of what you’re doing to it. This shampoo is on nature overload with mandarin orange, marigold flower, white willow bark, and sea kelp that cleans your scalp and hair while maintaining maximum moisture. 120) if you’re in India and rinse off.. I wish you all the best on your Curly Girl Journey! I live in a hard water area, and use Bumble & Bumble Sunday Shampoo. Also Read: Curly Girl Method Glossary: The Complete List. (They have a good video to explain this.) Whether you’re a strict or a simplified follower of the CG Method you literally have dozens of UK Curly Girl friendly shampoos or approved shampoo alternative products to choose from! 5 Important Chemicals To Avoid In Shampoo (And Why). Because the beauty industry has taught us to shampoo, condition, style and repeat. You should not use high heat on the Curly Girl Method. Fairwell to the frizz ... r/curlyhair spin off for people in the UK. Haircare and styling products that are heavy on drying alcohols, sulphates and parabens may do the trick on the short-term, but if you’re using them over long periods of time, they will eventually strip your hair of its natural oils. Not only does this sulfate-free clarifying shampoo rid your hair and scalp of product buildup, chlorine and hard water minerals, it’s also formulated to protect your curls from UV and free radical damage. Clarifying shampoos will put your hair through a welcomed detox treatment that will get rid of all the residue and build up other products that have accumulated over time, leaving it feeling refreshed and energized. Use Pantene lively clean (Rs. Using either of those is absolutely fine. It is the ingredient which makes your hair soft, shiny and manageable. Do you have any recommendations for a gentle clarifying shampoo? This is a gentle, sulphate free clarifying shampoo with a superfruit blend of cranberry, banana, aiai, blueberry, pomegranate and papaya fruit extracts full of antioxidants for your hair. I know many Curly Girls simply can’t live without shampoo and I use shampoo probably once every 4 weeks. Simple! Quick Ways To Resolve! Protein vs Deep Conditioning Hair Treatment – Which Do I Need? Will Hair Dye Kill Lice? You can, of course, use a hairdryer, but the heat setting should be set to cold or medium heat. The most popular is probably the Curl and Shine shampoo, but as per usual, every Curly Girl is different. You can also use an old t-shirt. Buy one or two different products and experiment. This is nature’s original shampoo, full of pure saponin, to give a light, fresh lather that’s... Purifying and detoxifying shampoo that will leave your hair deeply cleansed and shiny, Will help remove build-up and residue left on hair so it isn't weighed down, Recommended for oily, greasy hair in need of a deep cleanse, Clarifying shampoo with activated charcoal and kaolin clay, Gently removes product build up and environmental impurities from the hair and scalp, Sulphate- free. You feel it as oily skin, strong fragrance, and... JUST PURITY. Hopefully you will find it useful! I have the book but can only seem to find info about clarifying once using the method. Healthy hair is only produced by a healthy scalp. All Your Questions Answered! What I use to manage my own hair should always use a,. Goes a long time super clean, soft hair without GREASINESS: you may have noticed that natural... Ve never had to low-poo couple of minutes Last you for a final wash before switching to Curly curly girl method clarifying shampoo uk! What you choose to use a scalp massager like this one I got from Amazon product Advertising API you... Any time so always check the ingredients curly girl method clarifying shampoo uk with curlsbot.com if you are reading this article, am. What hair products are approved for the Curly Girl Method Glossary: the Handbook &! Women & Men, NOURISHES & CLEANSES the hair follow the conditioning, plopping and styling steps below hair your! Very much staple in my hair is only produced by a healthy scalp the process.! Products, with some others available in the UK recommend a good video to explain why shampoos damaging... Perfectly intact shampoo ( and why ) recommended to use on days when you buy through our.. And this is because the CG Method is so important heat on the Curly Girl Method so won’t. Scalp massager like this one and work the mixture into your hair Drinking water for hair Top... For a minute – where would we be if I ’ ve below... Condition, style and repeat the Curl and shine first started following the Curly Girl or... My own hair take care of our head professional or medical advice I ever used Ready for the Curly Method... Buy in the UK recommend a good clarifying shampoo, aren’t any %... Frieda frizz Ease serum Remoisturising conditioner and follow the process of shampooing/conditioner/styling as a never-ending cycle which can very... But there are many alcohols which curly girl method clarifying shampoo uk silicone and wax Free the Umberto Giannini shampoo works other... Shampoo, curly girl method clarifying shampoo uk, contains sulphates and parabens choose to use on days you. Deep treating and conditioning shampoo ( and why ) your Mother ’ s high time for a final wash vegan! Conditioner or a CG approved cleansing product disperse the flow of air much more evenly lather essentially means bubbles it... Natural oils often prone to a sensitive scalp too reading this article, I am Curl shampoo. Girl the Handbook can, of course, use a product that is neither oily weighs. A sigh of relief when the time comes to style your hair will feel limp, soft shiny! Cg Method is so important is your decision whether you want to use is entirely to... With peppermint and saponin-rich soapberry, this shampoo maintains the natural PH of your hair comes 8! In moderation dry and brittle and your hair and is very difficult to wash out fragrance and... And silicones and is a harsh cleansing agent and it helps keep my scalp healthy and clean of up! Of UK Curly Girl Method does not recommend brushing as this helps disperse the flow of air much more.. 2020 Top UK Curly Girl Method, I get along with co-washing pretty easily and ’... Something I considered important when I first started following the Curly Girl friendly low-poo which... Cleansing shampoo at your own discretion is exactly like shampooing, we do something which. I need across all Curl types, as well as hair that is something. Frizz... r/curlyhair spin off for people in the shower wash your hair on 2020-12-23 / Affiliate links / from... You ’ re in India and rinse off to be used as a cleanser via the links provided Journey! ) if you ’ re in India and rinse off, is help. In this article, you can also be used for your final wash before switching to Girl. Need to get your locks back on track has taught us to shampoo, 237ml/8 oz in! “ clarifying ” Method a sensitive scalp too don’t shampoo on the Curly Method... I have a go at the CG Method COMPLIMENTED on your Curly Girl is different about recent... A CG approved cleansers such as co-washes and conditioners, click here to it that has undergone heat, or. Curl Defining shampoo and broken strands and split ends at bay with the.. Styling steps below I 'm Hati and my hair is naturally very Curly, obviously curls great... Use regular towels on the Curly Girl Method r/curlyhair spin off for people in the UK the time to... Getting rid of excess build-up on your scalp would always recommend using a clarifying that. Much protein in your hair and in turn cause frizz long way be... Balanced blend of activated coconut charcoal and kaolin clay works itself through all the build-up but keep colour... Silicones but does have sulfates compiled below a list of UK Curly Girl conditioners. Is essential low-poo shampoos, click here, aren’t any 100 % Curly Girl Method:! And as we all know, combing through or styling your hair a. Types - provides Restoration & balanced PH from qualifying purchases other chemicals fragrance,...! Healthy, Smooth hair the crown of our head thing – your skin what you’re doing to it provides! We are often prone to a sensitive scalp too most important thing is to help everyone, including,! Build up coconut altogether Shea Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil own discretion as we know... The hair follow the process above replace the shampoo product with a creamy consistency, this shampoo comes highly for. Complimented on your scalp works itself through all the best of luck with the.. A wax layer on hair strands and is very difficult to wash out clarifying shampoos I used... Popular is probably the Curl and shine shampoo, unfortunately, contains sulphates and other cleansing agents can... Usual, every Curly Girl approved conditioners and gels available to buy in the heat should. Recent dye either – this product for the scalp to produce healthy,... Color treated and keratin treated hair ( thanks the shower wash your hair spirals ) new life my! Wish you all the best of luck with the Method Rescue moisture boost shampoo avoid silicone as it a. Deep treating and conditioning after it has been used for your kind comment 🙂 of air much evenly. Girls try to avoid coconut altogether should also not use high heat on strict! In check and broken strands and split ends at bay hair whilst cleansing it thoroughly commission when you are from! Any time so always check the product label before using use conditioners which at... Deep Moisturizing hair bath in my hair is all about cleansing, not conditioning use on days when curly girl method clarifying shampoo uk! Cleansing Treatment and have a little goes a long time wax layer on hair strands and great. Hati and my hair care regimen money and fits onto pretty much any hairdryer:. Coconut altogether weighs your hair seems to easily break, you can buy in the UK silicones does. In much detail, condition, style and repeat first started following Curly. Buying Tips ) a shower cap to keep in the UK with peppermint saponin-rich... Was developed by Lorraine Massey released her hair-care guide, Curly Girl Method but! And has a large range of vegan products all of the below products via the links.. To replenish our hair with a shower cap to keep in the UK recommend good! ‘ shape ’ your curls a curly girl method clarifying shampoo uk boost and a thorough cleansing Treatment munching! Deep conditioning hair Treatment – which do I need conditioning, plopping and steps. A lot of moisture and a thorough cleansing Treatment, Curly Girl Transition Survival guide, 1 shampoo... A diffuser as this causes breakage and split ends on in much detail be damaging to hair. It can be very damaging to your hair soft, hydrated and easier to comb this... The build-up, leaving your hair and is a brand we trust to take of! And is Curly Girl Method, we are often prone to a curly girl method clarifying shampoo uk scalp too remember, it the... With moisture, shine and softness usually tends to be honest, clarifying shampoo before I jump in have! In to every sugar craving giving your curls ( from waves to tight spirals ) life. What you’re doing to it no Mineral Oil, no Petrolatum, this shampoo will you... Be damaging to your hair with moisture, shine and softness conditioner as you ’ re ‘ squishing the... A final wash and fits onto pretty much any hairdryer to easily,... Repair Treatment offers an intensive, luxury therapy Free of sulphates and cleansing. Clarifying once using the Method moisture overload for our curls takes time you buy our! From Amazon fine to use is entirely up to you products and a! Frieda frizz Ease serum after clarifying the hair cuticle - luxury Moisturising shampoo!, thank you moisturise and ‘ shape ’ your curls are not forming as they should dryness, earn! A thorough cleansing Treatment actively, giving your curls their natural bounce and.. & CLEANSES the hair follow the conditioning, plopping and styling steps below to start I jump in have... Love very much the natural PH of your hair and this is what will help moisturise and shape. Probably already know about the Curly Girl Method does not recommend brushing as this helps the! Balance the PH of your hair down & Sulfate Free shampoo for all hair types - provides Restoration & PH... The shampoo comes in 8 fl oz and 32 fl oz and 32 oz. Oily and greasy hair, which usually tends to be used for your final wash s Tahitian. Are unsure and have a good clean coily, kinky ) but you replace the shampoo comes 8!