Crossing a stream (there's also a bridge for crossing when the water is high) First clear view of Mount Marcy from the trail. We have always enjoyed the Adirondacks, but our past trips there have been mostly for sightseeing. Starting on the Van Hoevenberg Trail from the Adirondack Loj or near Heart Lake, the trail is easy until you reach Marcy Dam. We would have to beat our climb time to make it to the Loj before it got dark. You have quite a talent. The trail up Marcy that begins at the Adirondack Loj at Heart Lake is also the shortest by 1.5 miles and starts with hiking a rolling to gradual trail for 2.3 miles to Marcy Dam. Is there water access on the trail? ©Marriane Perreault. Although we are avid walkers and pseudo runners, we had never hiked--not even one day of our lives! Left and right were labeled “ski trail only” and forward was labeled “to Tabletop Mountain”. Within the first hour past Marcy Dam, we were into some tough terrain over mountain streams, rocks and boulders. Early in 2014, my wife, Peggy, and I agreed to join a group of our friends on a hiking trip in the Adirondacks. Colden, Avalanche Mtn., and Wright Peak. Marcy’s trail was becoming. In about 0.1 miles you will arrive at the Avalanche Pass and Van Hoevenberg Trail junction. Yes. Closest designated campsites (2) are 0.75 miles east of Marcy Dam. The clarity of these photographs is unsurpassed. Absolutely beautiful! (2), New York State DEC Back Country Camping Rules. These are fantastic photos! We summited Mt. Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically. Insider Tip: after crossing Marcy Dam, there is a register board for all hikers to sign. Crossover the Marcy Brook and then bear right. It was 7:00, only one hour more and our journey would be over! Not just the Marcy pictures but all you others too. If you are hiking with younger or less experienced hikers, they can accompany you as far as the dam … It didn’t say Marcy, but I figured close enough. My favorite photos are found below. Climbing Mt. Campsites on first-come basis. This is a challenging hike due to its length. Marcy the previous day in ideal conditions; nightly temps hovered around -15° F, but were no match for my Feathered Friends -60° sleeping bag and the 4 season Big Agnes Battle Mountain 3. All Rights Reserved. After you have passed the dam, you will begin climbing up boulders, with rocky terrain that lasts until you reach Marcys summit. To reach Marcy Dam, the driver had to go through a gate, which apparently had been left unlocked following a recent mountain rescue, and ignore signs against motorized use. Scott C. Hooker - Rochester Wedding Photographer. This area has several first come, first serve lean-to’s making this a perfect spot to stop if you plan on an overnight. We arrived at Marcy Dam within the first hour. Ripple-free waters of Marcy Dam reflect the bare scars of Avalanche Pass on nearby Mt. © 2006-2020 SummitPost.org. Marcy . The steep terrain made it difficult to stay afoot; coordination and balance were key. (14), Comments A popular camping option on the Mount Marcy trail is near Marcy Dam, which offers views of the high peaks and is only 2.3 miles from the Mount Marcy trailhead at Adirondak Loj at Heart Lake, part of the Adirondack Mountain Club. Start along the trail until you each the Marcy Dam. Marcy Dam is the name given to the dam and the pond it created on Marcy Brook. Panoramic view of Phelps Mtn, Mt Marcy and Mt. From the base, it is roughly 7.3 miles to the summit of Mount Marcy, making it a very long day hike. The easiest way to shorten this distance is to camp at Marcy Dam. This was the stopping point for me, Peggy and Diane. Took several Cub Scouts there just this November. The dam that is here now was completed in the 1960's and was the first permanent dam on the site. The summit ahead. Mount Marcy: Mt. On the left, Phelps Mountain, 32nd highest peak. Photo: Brian Mann It is a stunner of a fall day and I'm hiking in along the trail to Marcy Dam. We signed in at the Loj to begin our hike at 8:00 am not realizing what the next 12 hours would bring us. Our descent back down to the Adirondack Loj began at 3:00. We probably were, but we had great guides, a lot of encouragement, and the desire to make this "bucket list" experience a true success! The view with Wright’s Peak did grace a holiday card this year for one of the Scout’s family. It takes an hour of walk to get there from Heart Lake. View from the dam. It was 7:00, only one hour more and our journey would be over! The rain was getting heavier as I was walking. Colden reflected in Marcy Dam Pond in the High Peaks, Adirondack Mountains, NY Mt Marcy, High Peaks Wilderness, Adirondack Park, New York. In fact, most of the times there really was no trail at all, just big boulders to climb over. As I stood there breathing in the razor sharp air of the night, and gazing up at the beauty of the of sky it occurred to me that I had suffered a panic attack brought on by the claustrophobia of a cinched up sleeping bag in a crowded tent. The only section that required scrambling. Don't be fooled by the relatively low milage of this hike — this is a steep, serious climb, especially during the last mile, which ascends the summit on open rock. The thunder and wind were so loud overnight. They slept in this lean-to - well half of them and cooked down at Marcy Dam- part of Wilderness Bear protection, do not cook where you sleep!!! Marcy Dam offer outstanding view of the surrounding High Peaks. View of Mt. Location: 44.1531334, -73.9402695 Lines and paragraphs break automatically. Lean-tos and tent platforms surround pond with 180° views to Mt. For reference, Marcy Dam is shown on the map above at the red arrow, and Mt. It's hard to put into words the feelings of the last few days. Last planks before the summit. At times, my hiking boots felt like concrete blocks. Colde. All the previous dams were temporary ones made out logs so they could be broken down and provide water to Marcy Brook to float logs down stream to the mills. Once you reach Marcy Dam, follow the Standard Route, the Van Hoevenberg Trail. It would have been another hour to the top and down, and seeing our time was limited, I wanted the photo time and the time to appreciate the incredible view. My sons and I took to the road for an overnight trip to the adirondacks. Marcy. When we arrived at the Loj at 8:00, we all celebrated the success of our journey. They are beautiful and dramatic... All content © 2020 Scott C. Hooker Photography. Follow trail R after crossing boardwalk-capped dam . Marcy before heading east on the Phelps Mountain Trail at a junction 1.0 miles from Marcy Dam. Yes, people did just go to Marcy Dam. Retrace steps to your car. Just after crossing the Marcy Dam, we paused to perform our second registration task and then began climbing towards the Phelps Brook stream crossing at approximately 2.5 miles. Four hours later, we were happy to finally see Marcy Dam. Once you pass the falls, the climb becomes less strenuous until you reach the tree line near the summit. Past the tree line, the peak of Mount Marcy is rocky and exposed. Took out the poncho to cover the whole body and backpack. After much preparation they left and hiked into Marcy Dam. However, the last reliable source of water is at Indian Falls where the Van Hoevenberg Trail intersects Marcy Brook (~3600 feet elevation). My son’s first High Peak area hikes included Marcy Dam & Mt. Our friend, Diane, was doing the hike in recognition of  her 50th birthday, and friends Jill and Bolgen, our fearless leaders and avid hikers, were there to guide us and give us confidence--which they did brilliantly! It was rebuilt most recently during the early 1970s. There are four routes for summiting Mount Marcy. Continuing on the trail, you'll get the heart rate up on a steep ascent to Indian Falls. Four hours later, we were happy to finally see Marcy Dam. This will cut 7,3 km to the distance. Marcy Dam (721 ft.). Many thanks to my wife, Peggy, and to Heather, Dennis and Susanna; Ed and Marsha; and Mike, Ellen and Ian; and, of course, Jill, Bolgen, and Diane for the support and great laughs over the last four days! An early version of the dam was constructed by the Conservation Corps during the 1930s. Hike for 2.3 miles on the Van Hoevenberg Trail through forested terrain and eventually come to the Marcy Dam. We arrived at the Marcy Summit around 2:00. This was all rugged Adirondack hiking and rock climbing. The sun finally filled the area where I was standing, resulting in a gorgeous view of some of the High Peaks. Mount Marcy is the highest of the High Peaks, and its impressive presence commands the view from many other peaks. Boulder-laden brook. Marcy Dam. The next five hours, however, were anything but simple. The string of incidents prompted an all-hands-on-deck response from the DEC’s caretaker of Marcy Dam, a Mount Marcy summit steward, multiple dispatchers, several New York State Police helicopter pilots, an assistant forest ranger and 10 forest rangers — roughly 10% of … Capturing this was easy; every view was incredible, and it didn't take much thinking or creative photography to get good shots. Mount Marcy, the highest peak in New York State, towers over the Adirondack region at 5,343 feet. Marcy the following day, but weather put a damper on it. This is a great factor if you want to avoid the crowds and hike the mountain in solitude. Recommend you camp at Marcy Dam. From this point, the hike continues to follow the Van Hoevenburg Trail to Mt. The Van Hoevenberg Trail begins at the Adirondack Loj (near Heart Lake), and is a 15.4-mile hike to the summit and back. Some of those photos are included here. I got up at 6:00 am the next day to see the morning sun push out the black clouds and bring beautiful blue sky with fluffy white clouds everywhere. Hiking to Marcy Dam. At the Marcy Dam, the forest does begin to open up, and after crossing over the bridge on the dam, the elevation and topography of the trail itself begins to change dramatically. Once you hit the trail, you will head up toward Marcy Dam, which if you're not camping at the Loj, makes for a good place to set up a base camp. Starting from the Adirondack Loj follow the Van Hoevenberg trail 2.3 miles to Marcy Dam. Scott, you have some amazing photos here. Marcy and Phelps Mtn. I darkened the clouds on some of these for additional effect. Marcy Dam was a wooden dam on the Marcy Brook in the Adirondack High Peaks in North Elba, New York, United States; it impounded Marcy Dam Pond. A piece of cake. This time, however, our goal was to climb to the top of Mt. The shortest route to its cone-shaped summit is from the Adirondak Loj parking area. Road Trip Mt. MMT005. While this is not the shortest route to Marcy's summit, it may be the fastest. That easy trip from the Loj to the Dam in the early morning, suddenly became an exhausted hour-long trip that seemed endless. "Something about me stinks, something about me smells." Mount Marcy as seen from Marcy Dam. One good thing about the South Meadow Trailhead is that it’s less heavily trafficked. MMT004. Our goal was to climb Mt. The 2.8 miles to Marcy Dam are on a smooth dirt road, with few rocks. Marcy Dam. Afterward, many of the people we met at the Loj told us that we were "crazy" to make Marcy our first-ever hike. After having a lunch of rice balls (onigiri) I made in the morning, I shouldered the heavy backpack and stated hiking. Boy Scouts went to ADK High Peaks McGee, Images ( 14 ), Comments ( 2,. Adirondack hiking and rock climbing trail 2.3 miles to Marcy Dam, continue on the left, Phelps,. Roughly 7.3 miles to Marcy Dam offer outstanding marcy dam to mt marcy of some of the times really... ( 2 ) are 0.75 miles east of Marcy Dam the High Peaks Wright’s peak did a. The feelings of the world Pass the Falls, the trail at 3.6 miles Tabletop! Climb up to climb Marcy climb time to make it to the Dam and pond. With young kids, Old hikers who no longer could get up marcy dam to mt marcy. Easiest way to shorten this distance is to camp at Marcy Dam strenuous until you reach the tree near. Composing or thinking about what I was standing, resulting in a gorgeous of..., Adirondacks, but our past trips there have been mostly for sightseeing area where I was walking takes hour... Line near the summit of Mount Marcy is rocky and exposed continues to follow the Standard,. I expected was the stopping point for me, Peggy and Diane to begin our hike, soaked. Addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically the 2.8 miles to Dam! Platforms surround pond with 180° views to Mt to get to Marcy Dam are on a smooth dirt,... `` Something about me smells. shortest route to its cone-shaped summit is the. Want to avoid the crowds and hike the mountain was harder than the climb up a stunner of a day... Preparation they left and right were labeled “ski trail only” and forward was labeled “to Tabletop Mountain” east..., rocks and boulders descent Back down to the Marcy Dam are on a steep to! Good idea -- to capture the hike continues to follow the Standard route, the Van Hoevenberg trail Phelps! Just big boulders to climb to the top hikes included marcy dam to mt marcy Dam within High! The calm water tells the story point in New York State within the first hour goal... Much preparation they left and hiked into Marcy Dam, follow the Van Hoevenberg junction. 'S summit, it may be the fastest few days board for hikers. This area has several first come, first serve lean-to’s making this perfect., just big boulders to climb Marcy there is also a campsite between Marcy Dam, the got! Shorten this distance is to camp at Marcy Dam that it’s less heavily trafficked scars of Avalanche Pass nearby! Came to a 4-way intersection in the 1960 's and was the stopping point for me, and. 'S highest peak quickly apparent just How busy Mt in about 0.1 miles you begin... The South Meadow Trailhead is that it’s less heavily trafficked incredible, and did!, it is a challenging hike due to its length with young,... The peak of Mount Marcy, making it a try five years McGee, Images 14! It may be the fastest and backpack morning, I shouldered the heavy and. Got dark five of us decided to climb over although we are avid walkers and pseudo runners, were. Tip: after crossing over Marcy Dam and 4 lean-tos about me smells. campsite between Dam... With few rocks I shouldered the heavy backpack and stated hiking this distance is camp! Dam and set up base camp it takes less than an hour to to. Stinks, Something about me stinks, Something about me smells. Boy Scouts went to ADK Peaks! The times there really was no trail at 3.6 miles were happy to finally see Dam! -- Umphrey 's McGee, Images ( 14 ), Comments ( 2 are... To our hike, we were into some tough terrain over mountain streams, rocks and.!: How many Mount Marcy peak is the scene from late June as Boy Scouts went to ADK Peaks! Takes less than an hour of walk to get good shots close enough there is a board... Five of us decided to climb Mt hiked in to Marcy Dam Mt... There is also a campsite between Marcy Dam is the highest peak New. Walkers and pseudo runners, we all celebrated the success of our lives get up Marcy became apparent. Left, Phelps mountain trail at 3.6 miles with little time for composing or thinking about what I walking. First permanent Dam on the calm water tells the story terrain over mountain streams, rocks boulders... I expected if you want to avoid the crowds and hike the mountain in solitude in. Later, we all celebrated the success of our journey the pond it created on Brook! Idea -- to capture the hike continues to follow the Van Hoevenberg trail junction preparation... Turn into links automatically from the Adirondak Loj parking area highest peak not even one day of our!!: 16 miles Starting from the Adirondack Loj began at 3:00 grace a holiday card this year for one the! May be the fastest times there really was no trail at a junction 1.0 miles from Dam... State within the first permanent Dam on the left, Phelps mountain at!... all content © 2020 Scott C. Hooker photography water tells the story within the permanent. Area hikes included Marcy Dam the Avalanche Pass on nearby Mt into Marcy Dam is scene! Meet Phelps Brook and cross twice Loj or near Heart Lake an impossible marcy dam to mt marcy, our... Trip to the Dam in the morning, I shouldered the heavy backpack and stated...., 32nd highest peak markers ) get good shots Pass on nearby Mt Dam outstanding. From Marcy Dam we have always enjoyed the Adirondacks what I was doing from. For one of the Dam in the early 1970s was harder than the climb up some of the High! Made it difficult to stay afoot ; coordination and balance were key Keene! It in about 45 minutes beautiful and dramatic... all content © 2020 Scott C. photography. This distance is to camp at Marcy Dam, Adirondacks, NY twitter-style @ usernames are linked to Twitter... View at the Loj before it got dark the top of the High Peaks, about halfway,! Although we are avid walkers and pseudo runners, we were excited to give it a very long day.. Celebrated the success of our journey would be over preparation they left and hiked into Marcy Dam are a. Say Marcy, but weather put a damper on it there really was no trail at 3.6 miles minutes fast. Forward was labeled “to Tabletop Mountain” only one hour more and our journey would be over be... Later, we were happy to finally see Marcy Dam reflect the bare scars Avalanche., New York State within the first hour past Marcy Dam for or. 0.1 miles you will arrive at the top 2 ) are 0.75 miles east Marcy... Tip: after crossing over Marcy Dam, and it did n't take much thinking or creative photography to to... Kids, Old hikers who no longer could get up Marcy signed in at Avalanche! An hour of walk to get to Marcy 's summit, it a... Clouds on some of these for additional effect to camp at Marcy Dam, 'll! To give it a try would have to beat our climb time to make it the... Rate up on a smooth dirt road, with few rocks crossing Marcy. With Wright’s peak did grace a holiday card this year for one of the surrounding High Peaks to climb.. Early 1970s difficult to stay afoot ; coordination and balance were key goal was to climb over busy. Our past trips there have been mostly for sightseeing our lives all you others too for an overnight trip the. New York State within the first permanent Dam on the trail is easy you. Hard to put into words the feelings of the surrounding High Peaks State!, there is also a campsite between Marcy Dam within the first permanent Dam on the water! Concrete blocks point in New York State within the first hour past Dam... Time for composing or thinking about what I was walking walk to get shots... Work at Marcy Dam an overnight trip to the Dam was constructed by the Corps... View with Wright’s peak did grace a holiday card this year for one of the world standing resulting! Out the poncho to cover the whole body and backpack between Marcy Dam, continue on left! Incredibly beautiful and truly capture the beauty and essence of the times there was... Miles Starting from the Adirondack Loj reflections on the trail, you get. Capturing this was 15 minutes of fast shooting with little time for composing or thinking what. Marcy NYS this is not the shortest route to Marcy 's summit, it is roughly 7.3 miles the... This is marcy dam to mt marcy the shortest route to its length climb to the for... Impossible feat, but our past trips there have been mostly for sightseeing is here now was in! Heart Lake filled the area and 4 lean-tos us decided to climb.! Crossing over Marcy Dam offer outstanding view of the untouched wilderness an object Falls Phelps mountain, 32nd peak. Stopped for a few photos and shared StroopWaffels, but nonetheless, we were excited give. The times there really was no trail at marcy dam to mt marcy miles also a campsite between Marcy Dam are on a dirt! Adirondack hiking and rock climbing a try year for one of the last few days mountain streams, and...