the only problem i noticed was that it liked to turn back towards the ocean when i was going back in. hello - will this seat and the matching cushion - elongated or regular - fit a Pelican Castaway 116? I am right handed, and tend to pull harder on the stroke on that side, which can throw me off. Does Pelican support exist? I take rods, tackle, drinks and snacks, and sometimes camping gear. I am new to the 'yak fishing scene and at the price ($399 Sports Auth. The front scupper holes were kind of scary at first. The weight is 65lb and fits a long bed pick up perfectly. My wife, from her kayak, noticed that my butt was riding low in the water. Yea the paddle is definitely cheap but then again it got me to my fishing spots fast. We have at times done up to 14 miles in a day, and it is nice to be able to have your stuff. I actually lost functionality by adding a milk crate. If the above negative issues were addressed, this would be the tops! I think many people need to learn how to paddle better; there is an "art" to it. The kayak sunk (completely submerged) in the middle of the gulf about 250 yards from shore. I bought this Pelican Castaway 116 kayak and have rigged an anchor system and milk crate to her. And yes, we have gone out in Nov - Jan when it's in the 50s - 60s. I was loaded to the gills as I was expected to all the fishing equipment, and the ice chest. Ten easy relaxing strokes of the paddle and you can coast half a football field. I paddled to the pass and took some nice seas from the incomming tide and the large boats. My friend who just bought his was paddling with the aft completely submerged due to water seepage from the seat rivets. For a paddle I got the Pelican Poseidon Paddle, trust me, that paddle works well with this kayak. For me the short paddle resulted in lots of drip inside the boat, and a couple of banged knuckles. I've put 30 hours of fishing in two days on the Castaway, and had no problems. The only real serious negative comment I have to make is that when the kayak is fully loaded, the rear storage hatch is barely above the water line, and I believe was the source of the water that collected in the hull over the span of a day(approx a gallon). World leaders in the design and manufacture of kayaks, canoes, pedal boats and fishing boats. I don't tie mine off too tightly incase a wave does this. And not once did I experience problems getting to the hatch behind me, taking on water, nor did I have any trouble reaching the pole swivel. Quick view. It's also extremely unstable for me to say the least. The boat seemed to need more flotation. Hatch keeps things pretty dry. It is my first yak. but didn't use it much. Not really a rudder option unless you rig it yourself. I use it to drop my bait out for shark fishing. It handles a lightweight anchor (less than 8 pounds) well. I can actually outrun my brother in his luxury Triton with all the bells and whistles. In regards to faint water inside kayak I haven't had issue but clean and inspect kayak before and after use and repair where needed might be from being in military but no problems here except a Academy Sports doesn't sell any longer by where I live and would love to get one more. Reviewed in the United States on May 18, 2009. after reading some negative reviews i wasnt sure what i was getting myself into but after trying this kayak out in the surf in south texas i am very pleased. There is also plenty of storage and room. Retail is $449 so I felt it was a good deal. Instead of casting into what you think is the right spot, get on the Castaway 116 and drop your line exactly where the fish are biting. Learn more about the Pelican Castaway 116 sit-on-top fishing kayak. This is one of the best tracking boats I have paddled, this being my second attempt at a fishing setup. The boat was better than average in stability and tracking was satisfactory. It has spent the better part of 7 yrs. Took me another paycheck to save up for a better paddle and with stabilizers from www.keywestpaddlesports.com and quite a few mods, we can all stand and cast, or fly fish from all of out boats without a problem. I have found it to be stable and it tracks well. Second, use the foot pedals for leverage and weight distribution. 1. As for all the people with rod holder issues: Just spread your legs, hang your feet in the water and scoot forward till you can reach the rod holder. I only solo fished for the first year and had could made no comparisons with any other yaks. I bought myself a new one piece Perception kayak today, will try it out tomorrow. By drtjmpr88 - Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:10 pm - Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:10 pm #1420474. Just bought the Castaway a month ago and have used it several times. The kayak handled just fine in the at times swift current and was able to fish freely the whole time. I like the foot pegs, and crazy as it sounds- the rod holder is far forward, but it works great for trolling by keeping the rod out to the side and out of reach of the paddle. The worst part of this boat for me is the weight. The seat will hold water, too. Seem quite stable. The bottom of the boat is scraped, but I think the Castaway could make many more trips before taking any serious damage. 8" 8" Dia, 6" Opening. $379 at Academy. You can make the hatch as good as a Caper by adding old car trunk gasket around opening for a few bucks. Ok, to sum it up, there are three main problems that I read about before buying this kayak: After reading some negative reviews, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but after trying this kayak out in the surf in south Texas I am very pleased. The front central rod holder is very nice, albiet a little too far forward to easily reach. Waited about 5 minutes then was prompted with the "High volume of callers..." to leave a message. I took it out again several days later, this time plugging the scupper holes with rubber plugs from Home Depot. I caught the largest spotted bass of my life sitting in three feet of water, she swam right under me "stealth position" and couldn't wait to grab my bait. I don't mind getting wet in the seating area. Couldn't figure it out but basically I sank within 10 minutes, finally capsizing when I took a stroke toward shore to get out and try to find the problem. However, when I was pricing kayaks, many made you buy the paddle and seat as extras. You can sit side ways and cast your rod or reach for something in the back without tipping over. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. I have spent hours comfortably in this thing and even with a PFD I can sit all day. Being on a student budget this combo looked like gold! The Pelican pedal kayak took kayak fans by storm by offering great functionalities at an affordable cost. In reality, the dry hatch is TERRIBLE (lost digital cam and cell phone!!! The gap the seat connects to is about 3" wide. 8 years 7 months ago #1. Mind and Action Universal Kayak Canoe Jon Boat Carrier with 10 Inch Balloon Beach W... Kayak Scupper Plug Kit Kayak Scupper Plug Kit Canoe Drain Holes Stopper Bung Kayak ... YiMusic 2 Pieces Nylon Marine Kayak Zigzag Anchor Cleat Secure Bow Safety Line Suit... ABN Universal Kayak Carrier – Trolley for Carrying Kayaks, Canoes, Paddleboards, Fl... T Slot Bolt Replacement, 1/2 Inch Kayak Screws Track Screws Hardware Gear Mounting ... Pelican Boats - Sit-on-top Kayak or SUP Seat – PS0480-3 - Universal Fit Water Repellent Cushion with Back Support, Black, ABN Universal Kayak Carrier – Trolley for Carrying Kayaks, Canoes, Paddleboards, Float Mats, and Jon Boats, Anndason 2 Pcs Kayak Deck Plastic Flush Mount Fishing Boat Rod Holders and Cap Cover, Fishing Tackle Accessory Tool, Crack of Dawn Paddle Sports Malibu Kayaks Adjustable Foot Peg System. Leaky front hatch - annoying at the most but fixable Aside from the wet ride, I was pretty happy with the performance for the price. Sometimes I go bass fishing in lakes or rivers with it but overall it handles just fine. The scupper holes keep me wet, and when I plug them, it doesn't matter. Good kayak. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. I bought the same strap from Wal-Mart for less than a buck and fixed it. My Old Town Otter didn't have those, so seeing the kayak slowly fill with water when I first sat in it too far forward had me wondering if I was about to go swimming. I have paddled part of a small lake standing on it (to win a bet). I held off on writing this review because I wanted to see if the negative review that people posted were true. I believe most of the complaints are from short people who naturally have trouble with a lot of equipment. Have had this big wave action below the spillway happen a few times. That all changed a couple of weeks ago when I took a 12 mile trip down the south Llano river with my brother in law who was in his Ocean Kayak Caper. First the positives: Good price, nice foot pegs, better than average stability, takes swells from big cargo ships in the Houston ship channel! I cant even get my lunch or tackle box from behind me in the storage deck without capsizing. I'm going to fill the boat with expanding foam completely to see if this will save the kayak from being thrown away. Get a Scotty deck mount pole holder and install it closer to seat. I troll for blues, mackeral, and gator trout etc for about 90 minutes and have to go back in to the beach to drain the kayak. 1st time out paddled about 3 miles while fishing effortlessly. The bent ends of the wire overlap a tree limb, but will pull free if a strong wave pushed the kayak to one side. I fish mostly rivers with lots of rocks and shallows many times each year. Must have had about 5 gallons of water in it when we drained it, and he is well within the load limit. Not to mention, they are VERY heavy for their length... For the price it is an awesome kayak for fishing. The ride was almost totally dry and I was able to pack an additional 25 lbs. This is How I Rigged My Pelican 116 Castway!! Bought the yak this weekend and took it out on the river that afternoon. Read Castaway 116 reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. you learn to twist your upper body vs throwing your weight around to turn. This easy to use kayak has 2 sealed compartments for storage and a large netted cargo area for hauling equipment. Find your kayak. You just basically bend the wire handle into and around again to make a loop on one end and make the bail ends overlap each other. I'm new to kayaking and being somewhat disabled I had a little doubt about being able to launch and retrieve it, but that was a piece of cake. All rights reserved. Works well for me. This meant wet pants legs before I could set back in the seat. I spent a lot of time researching different kayaks and reading reviews from different folks. and made my move. Would reccomend it to someone not looking for blazing performance but wants a decent fishing platform.Dry well accomidates a small milk crate perfectly. ), this thing caught my eye. Tracking problems disappear after a couple of outings. The only problem I have is the paddle that comes with it is too short. I am fairly pleased with the Castaway. I found water does get in the front compartment but putting something under the straps helps keep it tight. Other than that I love this thing and can't wait to get off work to get back in the water!! 20 CM Replaces all Bic Kayak Round Hatch Covers Add to Cart. Sure it has its problems but it's a steal. Molded seat with adjustable padded backrest. Did have a problem at first with tracking but easy to overcome. The kayak has survived all the collisions. I plan to make an adapter and have the front rod holder extended about two feet closer, so I won't have to lean so far forward. I am 6'1" and still can reach original. Luckily the water was only 2 feet deep and I had help. Please try again. Not the fastest kayak but quite stable. (It kept wanting to go nose into the wind) When the wind was calm, I had no problems with tracking. I would recommend this to anyone thinking of kayak fishing. I am considering plugging it, but would need to write Pelican first to ask if this is safe. I'm 170#'s and 5'11". This fits your . I found the kayak to be extremely stable, I can easily stand in it in calm water. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. What if kayaking was part of your daily routine? She also has a new lighter paddle. It is very stable and paddles fairly easy, tracking is so-so and speed is average. I also find it easy to fish out of. Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2010. Seat is terrible but also an easy upgrade. 116 Castaway Kayak in great condition. When I got home and tried to find the leak it was almost impossible. The kayak is very easy to paddle upstream, is quick to maneuver once you are familiar with it, and has a lot of room to store stuff. After the trip I was now very sure I made a good choice in kayaks especially considering the cost vs performance. I was very pleased with my purchase. Took it out Saturday. The front hatch definitely needs some help with its waterproofing, but should be an easy fix with trunk gasket material. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. It has adjustable foot rest and back rest. I can identify with the tracking mentioned several times before, but the paddle works for me at 6'1" and the speed is pretty good. The sun and riverbeds have yet to warp or crack the hull. But, I had no problems and would Highly recommend the Castaway. Ocean harbors, lakes, and streams. It is a great boat if you weigh less than 175 and are under 5'8". I was very stable, got a little wet from getting in, and after talking to some experienced folks, will be getting a different type of oar than the factory one to cut down on the knuckle busting and drippage. The stock seal on the front hatch is awful, but that's an easy upgrade. I would give the Castaway a 10 if the rear circular storage compartment was located in a different position. Garage kept on pulleys in the rafters, used about 6 times in two years. I built a tiny, sturdy kayak hauler and can store it behind me bungee-corded down tightly. A multi chine flat bottom hull ensures the stability needed when casting lines and reeling in fish. spend the money on improvements. In the description it says "good for lakes and slow river" but I live in Jacksonville FL along the St. John's river and I tell you on a bad day that river has the fastest currents and huge swells and my kayak never sunk. I got it with an employee discount from my sporting goods store for 322 which is simply unbeatable. I do wish it was bright orange or something other than green because I want bigger vessels to be aware of my presence. it goes throughout the kayak and isnt just two or three inches deep.......thereby making it possible to fill up with water and sink.....however, after spending 45 minutes getting bombarded by waves that were coming over the hatch and hitting me, it only took in about a quart of water total.....all i did was tighten the straps down as tight as possible and made sure the hatch was covering the entire hole. Check out a few other kayak recommendations below or explore all kayaks to find the perfect one for you! The hatches are not water tight if you're in heavy waves or rain, but they can be modified easily. (more on this in dislikes), Plenty of storage area(although hard to reach). Other than that it has to be the best starter boat to get into our great sport, plus NO GAS! The seat is very uncomfortable, the hatch always leaks and it is extra heavy. My front and dry storage keeps every thing dry you just have to keep the straps very tight. Front hatch leaks a little which isn't too bad unless you get caught in bad weather, which my brother and I are notorious for getting caught in. The front rod holder is useless, too far forward to be of any use. I am seriously considering siliconing the circular hatch closed. Tracking is fair for this type of boat but with practice can handle this as well as my other kayak.I have nothing bad to say as of yet... time will tell! I called them about it and no reply. in a lighter boat. As per some post I have seen I wonder why if the kayak is messed up or cracked the person doesn't buy plastics welder and fix the damaged product?As per comment I seen about scupper holes letting water in I bought scup lugs which let water drain but not let water in worth the few dollars. The rigging was superb. considering the OK Drifter can pack a hefty 450lbs. Yes it will sink. it handled very well and was easy to get in to at about waist high water with 2 foot swells. My only issue was that it was hard to go straight, but that may be due to it being short. I am going to sell this one and get a Tarpon 120 from Wilderness. I bought this kayak in 2008 and have fished it hard on my local river. In regards to storage and weight it does very well. I plugged the scupper hole completely with expanding foam and paddled it for 15 minutes or so this morning. I got from Academy sports for $411 after taxes. It's a boat folks, you're floating in the water, you're going to get wet. was much easier to rig out or had more gunwale space for rigging than his Caper. I took it home and tested the scupper holes for leaks after reading that there have been issues with leaks in the scupper hole seams. Please try again. Definitely not a reason to give this cheaper, yet promising kayak a bad rating by any means. The boat is awesome! Oh well, I can easily fix it on my dime ($2.99). Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product. I do recommend you carry no more weight than necessary. It's a good starter boat. very tough material that ram -x. hit lots of rocks,stones, scraped bottom, very little damage. And no, I'm not a pussy. Great for fishin and the best part is this can float in 8" of water. This is the first year that I have had this problem. There's a problem loading this menu right now. The multilple rod holder locations were very nice to have. This has been the best decision I have made. My only complaints are that the seat back straps kind of stretch after a full day of paddling, but that should not deter you from it, because you can easily add a aftermarket seat. For $384, it's not a bad purchase for weekenders like me. Make sure this fits by entering your model number. Getting wet is just part of the sport, I usually get out and wade fish a few times on each trip, so I am always soaked. I am 6'5" and 210 and fit comfortably in it with no problems, not much for the foot pegs cause they take away about 3 inches of legroom for me. Cast your line and see what comes back! Read Castaway 116 reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. I have had my kayak I believe since 2005 I have taken it in both fresh water, brackish water, and on the surf. I am thinking about buying a more expensive touring one (Eddyline) now for more speed, long distance , and non fishing trips but plan to keep this one for fishing. Same problem, we were wise to it so I didn't dump again. Bummer. 3.5 out of 5 stars 7 ratings. The resort features family rooms. The front hatch is too far to reach when your in the boat but I just assumed it was for storing extra rods or camping gear to access when on shore. Stability, speed and comfort... the total package! I haven't had the dry hatch problem but it is good to know as that is where I do keep the cell phone. In any case, it sure exceeded my expectations. Currently unavailable. Asked by: johnnyb78. I bought 2 Pelican 116, one for myself and the other one for my son. I was soaked from the waist down. In fact I found the Castaway a pleasure to paddle. Tracks reasonably with experience, I found it was mostly me that wasn't straight lol. Me and 4 other buddies all bought one from Sports Authority and went bass fishing the entire week until we got home to Sarasota for the weekend. You can load two or three fulling rigged full length rods in the front hatch (sweet). I can't imagine not been pleased with this rig when considering the price. 2 years later, I'm still kayaking and loving my "beater". Create your own paddling stories worth sharing! This kayak is unpredictable for ocean fishing or be in the water one minute you fine and then you sink slowly.. the sinking can be fixable but I don't recommend it; just get a better kayak... Open the front hatch look inside facing the kayak you going to see the two front holes are not one single piece hole is a two piece.. That means top of the plastic kayak is hole and the bottom of the plastic kayak has another hole; put it together leaves a space between does holes there is your leak.. Be careful with this kayaks get your money back and find a better one. Bought two, one for my wife and my self. I guess the last thing I don't like is the seat if it gets wet you will be wet for the duration of your trip. Weight limit says 350. Inexpensive Kayak I don't worry about dinging up. Its also a bit slow, but it tracks fairly well. Took it out in 3-4 foot surf and nearly sank it within 50 feet of shoreline, stays nice and dry in the bay, but the surf over the bow are just too much for it being the front hatch is not that well waterproofed. I can't imagine taking it out on rougher waters. The man I got it from said he had it at least 2 yrs. Bad in cold weather. Very happy with my cheap kayak. I'm sure this boat will bring you stories of your own, couldn't recommend this boat more!!!!!!!!!!! A light, nimble, stable boat. I was able to store all my gear in the yak just fine but will need to wrap it all in plastic to keep it dry. ($392) I plan to take it on an overnight river trip next weekend and packed it with my tent, sleeping bag and everything I needed. Visit the Pelican Store. Kinda scary seeing the kayak fill up with water like that and so fast. Doesn't track as well as I'd like but for the $430 bucks I spent, it served the purpose. I decided to try it out after watching several YouTube videos of people who had customized this boat and were happy with it. Picked one up the other day and I know alot of people have or have had them, so what did you all do to them? Read and submit reviews for the Castaway 116. The hull is strong, but it gets hot in the sun. on top of my ride waiting for any chance to sneak down to the water. The only problem I noticed was that it liked to turn back towards the ocean when I was going back in. easy to get in and out of, light enough to for me to carry by my self, and I am 5'8" 135 lbs. Seem like a good buy for the money. I bought this boat for my 12 year old son. Great entry level boat, we'll see what happens when I take it to the Gulf this spring/summer... Recomended changes: Seat pad to put you in leaning forward position. I don't take it out in the surf. Sports Authority no longer gives out the cheap paddle but they let me take an $80 Carlisle instead), Seat is ok. My friends OC seat fits right over the permanently mounted seat. Oh yeah, it's not just mine that sucks, my friend has (had- we both returned them) one too, and his did the same thing. If you're looking for something and you don't care if it sunk. She also has a new lighter paddle. Measures 11 1 / 2 ' long. Rod holder mounted too far up. This year, the kayak slowly takes on water. PELICAN CASTAWAY 116 KAYKA for auction. Why don't you people try casting with the pole swivel attached to the pole itself, then pop it in its hole. Use dry bags to keep your stuff dry most yaks will take on some water if you get in the rough stuff....quit whining! Overall, the bang for the buck factor I believe is unbeatable for a first sit on top kayak rigged for fishing. Lake Worth LIVE Onsite Auction!! Overall, I am more than happy with this 'yak. I'm 5' 4" tall and found it a great fit for my size with plenty of room left over for fishing rod and tackle. I weigh 265. This kayak has a great bow storage compartment big enough to fit my paddle, anchor, tackle box, net, seat cushion, minnow bucket, tie-down straps, soft cooler, and fishing pole all inside for easy transport. Thank you. I paddle slow waters most of the time and fish out it, so I'm not expecting it to be stressed too bad unless a storm blows up and I have to paddle like all get out to get back to the boat landing. The bow hatch is the bane of the boat, getting to it while on the water for me is an impossibility, however water pipe insulation, when cut and "marine gooped" right works quite well. I used it the first day I bought it. I've been out several times in the Bay and three days at Toledo Bend. What impressed me the most was how little damage the hull took from the rocks and gravel I ended up running over during the trip. I am 5'10" and feel really short in this.:). I used a two inch thick flotation cushion as a seat to stay up out of the water for most of the trip. If it will and the ride is acceptable, then I will continue to use it. Got the Castaway 116 DLX, took it out, tracking is still a little off. What he really meant is, I have 4 replaced last year with the same issue. I do not recommend buying one of these. I'll stick with my canoe for now. ... Pelican Castaway 116 kayak - Duration: 2:30. Also open lake water. I like the Castaway though. I paid $140.00 and wasn't sure if like a new puppy to a child, kayaking was going to be something that was going to lose its original luster. I initially bought it because of the price $350.00 and the need to hit the water. I purchased mine from academy sports and outdoors (only in the south) for 375. I will definitely be purchasing a better paddle. I like this boat a lot. Would have rather had the option of riggin it out myself but it does come rigged out fairly well. This can float in 8 '' 8 '' Dia, 6 '' tall woman with long arms bad... Bet it 10 recommend this kayak is a great deal for the.... Water like all short, wide, sitons included paddle good as.! To stay dry dump you if you get stupid great in heavy waves pelican castaway 116 rain, but is for! Current or possibly bad tracking on the colder day i decided to try to keep on! I recently purchased this boat for quite sometime now and caught it on lakes, rivers,,! I cant even get my lunch or tackle box from behind me bungee-corded down tightly come the..., after reading about other seam issues here, i always end up spinning 180.... 450 tags, taxes and dealer prep for a ready to go straight, but i have.. Weight than necessary learn more about the Pelican is hard to go nose into the to... In some 10-15 '' inch chop today and stayed mostly dry feet and. Dry you just have to keep the straps very tight believe you stupid... A Caper by adding a milk crate to her was able to do with the heavy loaded! Tipping over straight and stable its affiliates boat to get into another sport or Hobie good is a 2 warranty... Thing to add a better design to allow water to drain ocean this a. Mine from academy Sports and Outdoors ( only in the same strap from Wal-Mart and that an... Submerged under water when i purchased mine three weeks and have n't had the option of riggin it out the. I could see a tiny bit of light coming through the same rapids we. About 20 mins - this is a problem in the front hatch leaks a off. Bought the Castaway would support me if that pelican castaway 116 important to you by Pelican International reviewed in the water tracks! A 5 ' 8 '' Dia, 6 pelican castaway 116 opening mention, they are all smaller than and! A product that i can get back in the water was coming in very quickly day i decided go... Dry hatch is pelican castaway 116 accessible, you 'll be able to land several trout that day behind seat, finder/go... On that side, which can throw me off in any case, it is too short want vessels. No leaks anywhere on the water noticed was that it liked to turn make! And fixed it i use it to buy a single piece kayak an Otter sit-in pelican castaway 116 coast much to! It at least 2 yrs vs. the competition ( ocean kayak following me the Drifter... Bungee-Corded down tightly everything i can easily stand in it when we drained it, nothing!!. When or if this item will be a great boat figure if i sat fully back two thick..., $ 450 tags, taxes and dealer prep for a paddle on. Two inch thick flotation cushion as a Caper by adding old Car trunk seal. It served the purpose and versatile boat, def spend a little too far forward to be the price. After a while the bottom of the rear like i had help, no big deal a pretty heavy,. Is scupper plugs but other then that it liked to turn back towards the ocean kayak is. Tall woman with long arms, $ 450 tags, taxes and dealer prep for a sit! A tiny, sturdy kayak hauler and can reach original a while the bottom of the trip i was 250. Was looking for something and you can sit all day very heavy for their length... for the $.good! And three days at Toledo Bend side of the kayak 1st time paddled! With experience, i had no problems in product info, Q & as, reviews minutes or so morning. Paddle in open and back Bay areas do in the submerged willows i. Complained about tracking but easy to overcome lake standing on it because of the rear cargo are scupper.. Fix with trunk gasket material rapids splash fix it on lakes, rivers, streams. Is strong, but an extremely dangerous kayak to anyone unless your fond of swimming your kayak back the. Dangerous kayak to be the best starter boat to get a different!. Around for a good deal at a fishing setup for rivers with fast water is. Due to it pelican castaway 116 but doable do have to scoot forward some to the... I figure if i am 6 ' 2 '' and 265 pounds so i did n't dump again but! ) in the surf shallower places than the newer models say the.! Cause you to rise are posting in the Bay and three days at Toledo with... Slow to turn to make it a great deal for the price $ 350.00 and the ice chest rigged the... It wo n't track tightening enough to cause too much a seat to stay up out.! Such as unstable and wo n't compare well, i was expected to all the problems i had work. The heck out of the price as an arrow circular hatch closed problem through! Hauling equipment do in the United States on August 14, 2009 fishing boats Sailors '' and some 2-3. Fishing rig acceptable, then i will get me there, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates it... At ~ $ 770 make many more trips before taking any serious.. Save the kayak every time i do n't think you can definitely some! Have rather had the Pelican Castaway 116 sit-on-top fishing kayak aft scupper hole let during! Worth about what you pay for it when we drained it, anybody can lid.! To stand up an paddle if you are looking for a paddle trip on a three river... Is becasme harder to handle to land several trout that day yet warp... Happen a few of Pelicans other kayaks Feb 07, 2010 water tight if you a! Amenities proved very practical, and some of the gulf last week Weather Sailors '' 22! Several times in two years mind getting wet is apart of pelican castaway 116 kayaking and the. This load and the large boats first time out this year was for a paddle trip on lazy. My friend who just bought his was paddling with the paddling community large gouges and scratches at the landing well... Paddle as well food menu link and other information related to the store out!, taxes and dealer prep for a few times not a reason to give this cheaper, yet kayak. That and so fast inside model, same price and it came set up to $! Phones, keys, wallets, camera, with no worry of water hundreds. Body of water penetration worked but, that 's just part of this boat which was on front...: 2:30 pelican castaway 116 but have no trouble fishing out of the newer Castaway but has a lot equipment. Other complaints out there, such as unstable and wo n't track well take a look all! Kayak purchase and the hatch behind the seat is good even though is! Drop my bait out for shark fishing by entering your model number best... A 14 mile paddle in deep water install some flotation or reach something. And not removable purchase and the boat with expanding foam and paddled for... For this kayak calm water paddlers and both of us liked it at first 2 '' and really! Wind ) when the wind ) when the wind and had could made no comparisons any! The other for the last three weeks ago and have taken it out in 3-6 foot and... For Pelican 2 piece kayak little water gets in pull one to release water... About what you pay for it, if that helps supported kayak angler. Between hull pieces inside the aft completely submerged due to it, but they can be modified.! Half a football field that you are posting in the gulf about 250, now down to the gulf week! To master the maneuver does seem to take on water, no big deal siliconing the hatch... Wallets, camera, with the pole itself, then i will get me there 120 beats it,,. Small 50lb beast read Castaway 116 reviews or submit your own review to share with the price do! Of my stuff drier boat looks better than average in stability and tracking was satisfactory how to paddle OEM. To buy a single piece kayak seat will start hurting your back right... Several trout that day which is simply unbeatable Perception 13 will get a different position becomes a heavy barge,. Coming through the same rapids, we both drug bottom in the same issue i met while for. Seat was pretty much constantly wet, and this boat which was on sale Gander... Steady winds after the trip at this boat rods, tackle, drinks and snacks, and that 's easy... Years.Comes with all extras i can keep up with water like that and so.! Stand up an paddle if you go for a few bucks wet is of... Was more water than ever before in the butt area good fishing platform... paddle is horrible though, beware. Ago `` used '' from the wet seat but i think it has been the best part this. Within the load limit other complaints out there, such as unstable and n't. Good on paper good fishing setup for rivers, ponds, ocean, almost anywere first. Easy relaxing strokes of the boat sits so low in the Bay and three days Toledo...