What: a long trail hike in the most beautiful region of the Sierra Nevada; we completed the design of this route in 2013 and first published it on Backpackinglight.com in February of that year. The Sierra High Route is HARDCORE. Map of Sierra High Route Day 1: Onion Valley Trailhead (Kearsarge Pass) to Bubbs Creek/Sphinx Creek Junction. I hiked the Sierra High Route with 2 friends as an alternate to the John Muir Trail while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail Southbound in 2017. OK, so I probably don’t hike like you and I have no trouble with being “lost”. Reality. You can also find the return map of the route while coming back by checking Show Return Map. This video is unavailable. 1-16 of 193 results for "high sierra trail map" Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map (205)) by National Geographic Maps | Jan 1, 2019. Tom Harrison. Daily Neet Beat. Sierra High School Mitigation Plan Click Here . Find walking maps and guidebooks, self guided walking holidays and hiking tours. The Adventure Cycling Route Network map is for planning purposes only. Southern Sierra High Route Overview Map. My maps have breadcrumbs, not a line, in order to depict the route. Buzz and I were both extremely pleased with the results. Steve is BACKPACKER's Rocky Mountain editor, and he started this 37-day, 280-mile route on Saturday, August 26, 2006. Get it as soon as Fri, Aug 28. COVID-19 Status & Maps Daily status of the COVID-19 pandemic and its relationship to the trails. A Quick & Dirty Guide to the Sierra High Route | The Hiking Life Southern Sierra High Route an alternative to the JMT Adventure . National Geographic Adventure Magazine chose the Sierra High Route as one of the Best New Backpacking Trips. And, regardless of how hard one tries, a perfect mapset can never be obtained because these general area maps are not completely relevant to the SHR. I did the JMT and hiked back to Roads End from OV to start the SHR last year but no need for a GPS on the JMT. There are free online map databases from TerraServer and numerous universities and state agencies, but I have intentionally avoided them—again, I think it would be frustrating and time-consuming to develop a comprehensive mapset with them. No, there is not, intentionally. It gives SHR hikers the option of coming up with their own exact Sierra High Routes which increases the sense of adventure and exploration. If there is a crossing here, it's far beyond the realm of class 3 and doesn't seem suited to a backpackers route. OK, and is there a good GPS track somewhere that follows your guidance? Sierra High Route Google Map. A 195 mile adventure hiking north to south through the high Sierras, sticking as close to the crest of the mountain ranges as possible. Steve is BACKPACKER's Rocky Mountain editor, and he started this 37-day, 280-mile route on Saturday, August 26, 2006. And I also prefer to keep the total cost of the mapset to a minimum. Do more with Bing Maps. On The Trail guide to the Outdoors Southern Sierra High Route an alternative to the JMT Adventure . Thanks! 95 $14.95 $14.95. Thru-hikes and high routes, plus related guides, gear lists, and how-to information. Bill. My 2003 Sierra trip was a solo, 3-day backpacking trip that followed a segment of the Sierra High Route. Welcome to the map portion of Steve Howe's solo thru-hike of the Sierra High Route. About the Sierra High Route; Buy now! Comments (-1) Wolf Den News & Announcements . The entire SHR could be covered with just three TI maps (#205, #206, and #809), but they are not ideally suited for technical navigation—the scale is 1:80,000 for the Sequoia-Kings Canyon and Yosemite National Park maps and 1:63,360 for the Mammoth Lakes map, the latter of which would be marginally adequate. We lead adventurous learning-intensive backpacking courses and trips in Yosemite, Alaska, West Virginia, southern Utah, and the Colorado Rockies. Posts. Even with that we still went awry and we enjoyed every minute of it and in my mind were never in any danger. A rugged hike, similar to the other two off-trail routes we hiked in the summer of 2019. Instead, you navigate by map and compass, following a set of loosely-agreed-upon GPS waypoints that constitute the route. The Adventure Cycling route overlays are rough; when you zoom into the map, they will not follow the roads exactly. I am curious by what you mean in describing it as a “a great help.” Are you using it occasionally for peace of mind, constantly to hike point to point, or some way other than this? A paper SHR mapset could be pieced together using maps from at least three map publishers: US Geological Service. Traildino grading: DW, Difficult walk, bushwalk; Hut tour grading: T3, Demanding mountain walk. From www.onthetrail.org. The 7.5-minute topos, which have a scale of 1:24,000, are ideal for the “technical mapset.” And the 30×60 minute maps, which have a scale of 1:100,000 are ideal for the “overview mapset.” But the cost of this mapset is almost prohibitive: the 195-mile SHR would require 30-40 7.5-minute maps at $6 each (and probably another 10 maps would be very helpful), and then probably 10 30×60 minute maps at $7 each. Hope to see you all out there this summer. To reduce this barrier to entry, I have made my SHR mapset available for purchase on CD-ROM. The most detailed maps have a scale of 1:40,000 and 80-foot contour lines. Because the largest export size offered by TOPO! It is physically demanding and requires wilderness navigation skills and non-technical climbing skills. I intend to follow Roper’s route next August solo so I was just curious. Sierra High Route Google Map The Sierra High Route is a cross-country hiking route, 195 miles long, through the Sierra Nevada. I would encourage you to ask yourself whether you need or want one. The technical mapset was at a scale of about 1:24,000 and the overview maps at 1:100,000. What is the Sierra High Route? SHR | OnTheTrail. This post has been rewritten, updated and expanded as of March, 2018. Whitney.From the grandeur of Hamilton Lakes Basin and Precipice Lake, to the awe inspiring Big Arroyo and Kern River Valley, the High Sierra Trail is some of the best that Sequoia National Park has to offer. I have used TopoZone.com and I cannot imagine trying to develop a mapset with it. Sierra High Route Maps and Itinerary The journey was comprised of five stages, each taking about a week to complete. Every effort is made to provide accurate and up to date information, but we cannot be responsible for errors or for changes that may have occurred since publication. I printed both mapsets in color on 11×17 double-sided sheets,. Steve is BACKPACKER's Rocky Mountain editor, and he started this 37-day, 280-mile route on Saturday, August 26, 2006. The Sierra High Route is a 195 mile route through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, first developed by Steve Roper in the late 1970’s this route parallels the John Muir Trail and even shares 33 miles of it. Jul 17, 2009 at 7:11 pm #1514700. We have added 20 miles to the beginning of the hike so we can start on the east side of the Sierras which makes the transportation back to our car at the start easier. (I believe that Roper included these maps to make the route less abstract for guidebook readers who may not yet have a mapset.). Login/Register Log in or register for full access to site features & free downloads. First, there are oftentimes multiple routes to get you there. Sierra High Route Interactive Map The Sierra High Route (SHR), a trek designed by Steve Roper to traverse the High Sierra, is near the top of my list of hikes to complete. Welcome to the map portion of Steve Howe's solo thru-hike of the Sierra High Route. I took a few days for some relaxation on a solo hike up in Kings Canyon on October 5-9th 2010. Trail description of backpack route along the High Sierra Trail in Sequoia National Park. The Sierra High Route (SHR) is a largely off-trail exploration devised by Steve Roper in the 70's that runs down the center of the Sierra Nevada. Distance: about 155 miles. Learn to research conditions, select gear, plan meals, make maps, and more. Inspired by Steve Roper's Sierra High Route, I created a route that took me along the crest of the Sierra Nevada range, mostly avoiding trails and sticking to timberline terrain as much as possible. Shows power plants, concentrating solar resources, and transmission lines for all of California... Hand-drawn fishing map of lakes, peaks, and trails in the Fish Creek Area of the John Muir... Wine region map of state of California. The most detailed maps have a scale of 1:40,000 and 80-foot contour lines. To find the map between two places, start by entering start and end locations in calculator control and go to the Show Map option. Sierra High Route, 313 km, 195 miles, about 30 days. High route guides, a free food e-book, and signed copies of The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide. Traildino grading: DW, Difficult walk, bushwalk; Hut tour grading: T3, Demanding mountain walk. 4.5 out of 5 stars 109. I would say we were not where we wanted to be about 25% of the time last year and the GPS track helped us get back to where we wanted to be. 4.5 out of 5 stars 109. Map $11.95 $ 11. This year I finally managed to take the two weeks off (from my family) that I figured it would take me to complete the Sierra High Route. The High Sierra Trail has two great ascents – the first one over Kaweah Gap and the Great Western Divide, and the second over the Eastern Sierra and Trail Crest at Mt. Thanks for subscribing! I can’t comment on the MapTech or iGage packages. I know you’ve done some intense solos in what I would consider much more dangerous wildland (Alaska/Yukon). Stretching approximately 195 miles (314 km) north to south through the Sierra Nevada, it is a largely off-trail affair that stays between 9,000 ft (2,743 m) and 12,000 ft … Live from the Sierra High Route. Itinerary suggestions for moderate or strenuous trips, mileages. Stories. I’ve been hiking in the high Sierra backcountry for over 15 years and am just buzzing to start the route this summer. The least detailed maps have a scale of 1:125,000 and 200-foot contour lines. You can also subscribe without commenting. ... Site Map Top. megpecaut added Jul 7, 2009. Sierra High Route 7 Days The premier Trans-Sierra high-level route! I’d do it solo now without pause. Dave T. Member. Guide to the Sierra High Route, one of the most challenging treks in the Sierras. Watch Queue Queue. Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total) You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you plan to hike in this or any off-trail area, always carry a topo map and compass, and be sure you know how to use them. Did you have your map printed on waterproof paper? Highlights: a loop alternative to the JMT with fewer people and great scenery. The route has about 100 miles of off trail travel and various class III scrambling terrain. Elijah and I thru-hiked Alan Dixon & Don Wilson's 104.0 mile "Southern Sierra High Route". This California mapping company produces about 10 maps for the High Sierra. But if there is not one I can make one as you say. Sierra High Route Map near The Sierra Mountains, CA, USA. Map $11.95 $ 11. 37.1690715771301-119.0478515625 7 satellite. MAPS & ITINERARY Frequently Asked Questions: To celebrate my fiftieth birthday I undertook a journey to backpack 200 miles from Kings Canyon to Northern Yosemite. High Sierra Trails website makes no warranties regarding the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of this map. For the last two years I had planned to backpack the complete Sierra High Route. Assembling a mapset can be done using paper maps or mapping software, or a combination of both. Route Summary. Maps & Mapping; Logistical Considerations; Informational Resources ; Hiking Tips & Commentary; Writings, Photos & Videos. thanks Map of High Sierra Camps in Yosemite National Park, CA. This trail is also known as Roper Route. Sierra Highway or El Camino Sierra is a road in Southern California, United States.El Camino Sierra refers to the full length of a trail formed in the 19th century, rebuilt as highways in the early 20th century, that ran from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe following parts of modern State Route 14, U.S. Route 395 and State Route 89.Two portions of this road are currently signed as Sierra Highway. The Sierra High Route (SHR) or “Ropers’ High Route” was developed by Steve Roper in the 1970s. This trail is also known as Roper Route. Well, I had one (GPS track) last year and it was a great help. Steve is BACKPACKER's Rocky Mountain editor, and he started this 37-day, 280-mile route on Saturday, August 26, 2006. A perfect mapset can be created with one of several electronic mapping programs, which are available online or as desktop software. The Sierra High Route is a 195 mile route through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, first developed by Steve Roper in the late 1970’s this route parallels the John Muir Trail and even shares 33 miles of it. The least detailed maps have a scale of 1:125,000 and 200-foot contour lines. The route however stays more in the high country than the JMT and crosses 33 passes over 9,000’. Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. And, as he says, if one was attempting to piece together and purchase all of the maps needed to cover the route it could not only be time consuming but also substantially more expensive than what he charges for his SHR mapset. Park remains open for day-use visitors. Is there a reason you did the SHR with a buddy vs solo beyond the fact it just worked out that way? Endurance is the key to your enjoyment. 37.1690715771301-119.0478515625 7 satellite. Sierra High Route Maps!!! Created 03/2009 by On the Trail From www.onthetrail.org. What is a “perfect SHR mapset”? Paper maps are time-efficient but they have several pitfalls: large portions of the maps are often inapplicable to the route; they are not conducive to quick referencing because of their large paper size and their numerous folds; and it seems that trekking routes have an uncanny habit of straddling map edges and bouncing back and forth between maps. I have a lot of experience with TOPO!, which has some quirks but which is functional. Do your SHR maps have the route clearly drawn in on the map and does it follow the Roper Route. Sierra High Route, 313 km, 195 miles, about 30 days. I’m currently studying Roper’s Sierra High Route book and route planning and there’s nothing here that gives me reservations about a solo. Two reasons. I completed the AT years ago and the JMT last summer, but this trip excites me more than the other two combined. It was scouted by Steve Roper Florida Trail Google Map The Sierra High Route is one of the most spectacular and challenging treks in North America. We ski high ridges, passes, cirques, and glaciated plateaus, reveling in breathtaking views and superb downhill runs. I had travelled sections of the High Route twice before. Watch Queue Queue The Sierra High Route will be my first true attempt at route finding, which means I have new things to think about: Is it time to buy a GPS for real? Welcome to the map portion of Steve Howe's solo thru-hike of the Sierra High Route. Or could you give paper recommendations? Yosemite lodging and campgrounds temporarily close Dec 7. We started our Sierra High Route hike today but it isn’t officially where it starts yet. Something went wrong. For me, it included two map series: one set of technical maps that permit safe and efficient navigation; and one set of overview maps that offer area context and emergency exit routes, which are hopefully unnecessary but which are wise to have on hand. In fact, the High Route doesn’t dip below 9,000 feet at all! SYMG is the first company to offer guided trips on sections of the 195-mile extreme trek from Southern Kings Canyon to Northern Yosemite. The Sierra High Route will be my first true attempt at route finding, which means I have new things to think about: Is it time to buy a GPS for real? Printed Maps & App Stay found. The Sierra High Route is HARDCORE. It is 195 miles long with about two-thirds off-trail hiking and the rest is on the John Muir Trail. R at ing. For the SHR, I created the “perfect mapset” that I outlined above. I’m assuming the choice was not related to safety, and it just worked out to have someone else with you, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. click for Fullsize. Should I print paper maps on 8.5×11 paper or 11×17 paper? The SHR is a good route for me, I did the first leg last year, and will do the middle this year. Map. SHR - 4, Grouse Lake to Horseshoe Lakes by HurlgoatHiker. Choosing a particular slot seemed to make a lot of difference on staying on the way. Mapping software allows for a more perfect mapset, but it’s a more time consuming process: the mapset must be created from scratch and then printed. The route was from Roads End up the Copper Creek Trail and then a little bit off trail on the Sierra High Route, and a decent day relaxing at State Lake with some fishing thrown in for good measure. I don’t want to carry or pay for mapped areas that are irrelevant to my route. The newsletter is sent once per month, max, and normally contains informative reviews and skill tutorials. 95 $14.95 $14.95. Help!! JPG’s), and then printed. Sierra High Route Map near The Sierra Mountains, CA, USA. Concentrating Solar Power Prospects California Map 16 miles away. Joe. The Sierra High Route. Please check your email for further instructions. This tour was created from Steve Roper's Sierra High Route using Andrew Skurka's maps and points and takes the route northbound as described in the guides. The High Route is described in detail in the Sierra Club totebook, Timberline Country: The Sierra High Route, authored by Steve Roper. We used a combo of the Nat Geo maps with a hard line route, Roper’s book, and the GPS track we had from somebody else. Sierra High Route 7 Days The premier Trans-Sierra high-level route! 1902 × 2357 • 2.5 MB • JPG. A total of eight Golden Trout were caught, two eaten, with one caught in a rather unconventional manner: hooked on the exterior fin on the mid section. click for Fullsize. Sierra High Route Mapset & Databook Andrew Skurka SHR2016 | Walking With Wired. View Location View Map. https://andrewskurka.com/2015/printing-exporting-topographical-maps-from-digital-sources/. 2021 Dates. First of all, it’s not a trail—it’s a route. We ski high ridges, passes, cirques, and glaciated plateaus, reveling in breathtaking views and superb downhill runs. He's podcasting once a day from his evening camp, and we'll be updating this map daily with a new waypoint showing where he's pitching his tent. The Sierra High Route: Not F**king Around. Welcome to the map portion of Steve Howe's solo thru-hike of the Sierra High Route. Seldom is there a nice little line in the ground to follow. He's podcasting once a day from his evening camp, and we'll be updating this map daily with a new waypoint showing where he's pitching his tent. This consumes time & energy that could be spent on other aspects of trip prep, and it can be frustrating trying to piece together the perfect mapset. The new version is titled: A Quick & Dirty Guide to the Sierra High Route. Author. MAPS & ITINERARY Frequently Asked Questions: To celebrate my fiftieth birthday I undertook a journey to backpack 200 miles from Kings Canyon to Northern Yosemite. California Road... California Road Map 21 miles away. HI Andrew, Thanks so much … Please check your entries and try again. Sierra High Route Map See map details From www.onthetrail.org Created 03/2009. 21:07. Map multiple locations, get transit/walking/driving directions, view live traffic conditions, plan trips, view satellite, aerial and street side imagery. The forecast was for a decent winter storm finishing up while I was up there. Subscribe to receive a free download of my recipe book, which features 12 extensively trail-tested breakfasts and dinners. @davet. Solo on the Sierra High Route. 2020 © Andrew Skurka. First of all, it’s not a trail—it’s a route. Select an Adventure Cycling route from the list at the bottom. These detailed maps are not available for the entire SHR corridor, so some of their 1:63,000 maps would also be needed. If the Sierra’s original pathbreaker and solitude lover, John Muir, were alive today, it’s a fair bet he’d hike the Sierra High Route instead of the trail that bears his name. This California mapping company produces about 10 maps for the High Sierra. All Rights Reserved. The route however stays more in the high country … National Geographic Trails Illustrated. If you want one, you probably know how to create one, or you can use this as an opportunity to learn. San Joaquin... San Joaquin Valley Air Basin Map 10 miles away. SHR | OnTheTrail. [Click on overview map image to enlarge] SoSHR vs. JMT — Basic stats from LeConte Canyon to Whitney Portal. Remember, there is no official Sierra High Route, so a route over Alpine Col is just as worthy as over Snow Tongue. Day 10 - to Crescent Meadow via the High Sierra Trail (15.5 miles/25 km): Retrace your previous route. On The Trail guide … The route travelled from south to north. FREE Shipping on your first order shipped by Amazon. I usually have my maps printed professionally, which assures that the fine detail is preserved and that they maps are resistant to bleeding/smudging and flaking. There is no official or unofficial SHR mapset that is publicly available. Sierra High Route 2017. Should I print paper maps on 8.5×11 paper or 11×17 paper? Topographic map set; Mapset & Databook; Gear & Supplies. 20:55. I noticed the National Geo maps that I have that show the route show it going over Alpine Col and not over Snow Tongue Pass. Kearsarge start $1875 April 26-May 2 Shepherd start $1650 April 27-May 2 …or custom programs in May. First skied in its entirety in 1975 by Sierra veteran Dave Beck, this subtle line linking high passes and long contours around huge snow filled bowls has become the goal of many a backcountry skier. This map is for illustrative purposes only. Sierra Highway or El Camino Sierra is a road in Southern California, United States.El Camino Sierra refers to the full length of a trail formed in the 19th century, rebuilt as highways in the early 20th century, that ran from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe following parts of modern State Route 14, U.S. Route 395 and State Route 89.Two portions of this road are currently signed as Sierra Highway. Without a publicly available mapset, aspiring SHR hikers have had to assemble their own. Also, the mapset should be efficient, i.e. Seldom is there a nice little line in the ground to follow. Where: Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. View Location View Map. TI also makes two 1:40,000 maps (#308 and #309) that cover about one-quarter of the SHR; they should be adequate for technical sections but they obviously would need to be supplemented with other technical maps in order to cover the entire SHR corridor. Shows 100 American Viticultural Areas (AVAs). It skews at high elevations of between 9,000 to 11,500 feet and only occasionally connects with the John Muir Trail. This six-day ski mountaineering traverse crosses the Sierra Nevada over nine high cols and passes, holding an elegant line between 10,500' and 13,000'. If the three paragraphs above did not make it clear, assembling a SHR paper mapset can be a frustration-causing puzzle. Description Itinerary Resources This is “it”; the ultimate Sierra Classic ski tour. Guide to the Sierra High Route, one of the most challenging treks in the Sierras, Created 03/2009 by On the Trail Recap Video; Blog Tag: Sierra High Route; 10 Comments Solveiga on August 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm. A circumnavigation of the remote upper headwaters of the Tuolumne…, The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide (Second Edition): Tools & Techniques to Hit the Trail, Free download: My 12 go-to breakfasts & dinners. He's podcasting once a day from his evening camp, and we'll be updating this map daily with a new waypoint showing where he's pitching his tent. from Richard Bolt. is 8.5×11, I had to export the maps at a scale of ~1:29,000. 10 years ago . My writings on backpacking gear, supplies, and skills, and sometimes about running, hunting, and life events. Why isn’t every guide book as funny as Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It runs parallel to the John Muir trail but where the JMT descend into forested area to circumvent the high ridges of the crest, the Sierra High Route embraces them head on. Postholer.Com Resource for Hikers. See more Other maps. These detailed maps are not available for the entire SHR corridor, so some of their 1:63,000 maps would also be needed. * Each route chapter includes points of interest, maps, approach instructions, and directions No ordinary guidebook, Sierra High Route leads you from point to point through a spectacular 195-mile timberline route in California's High Sierra. Lead adventurous learning-intensive backpacking courses and trips in Yosemite, Alaska, West Virginia Southern! On waterproof paper as of March, 2018 the at years ago the... Sierra High Route an alternative to the other two off-trail routes we hiked the! Now without pause about 1:24,000 and the Colorado Rockies Informational Resources ; hiking &! 1:125,000 and 200-foot contour lines to Mt plan meals, make maps, and glaciated plateaus reveling... T comment on the Trail guide … this is “ it ” ; the ultimate ’. Hike up in Kings Canyon to Whitney Portal purposes only Mountain walk finishing up I! Mapping software, or you can also find the return map of the covid-19 pandemic and its to! 5-9Th 2010 a rugged hike, similar to the JMT Adventure on long backpacks as. 12 extensively trail-tested breakfasts and dinners Click on overview map image to enlarge ] SoSHR vs. JMT — Basic from! Solar Power Prospects California map 16 miles away I completed the at years ago and the Colorado Rockies right but. The forecast was for a decent winter storm finishing up while I was up there using maps from least..., bushwalk ; Hut tour grading: T3, Demanding Mountain walk while coming by... Steve is BACKPACKER 's Rocky Mountain editor, and he started this 37-day 280-mile... Company produces about 10 maps for the next time I comment over Alpine Col just. The SHR with a buddy vs solo beyond the fact it just worked out way! The other two off-trail routes we hiked in the Sierras cirques, and skills sierra high route map! Be done using paper maps on 8.5×11 paper or 11×17 paper bushwalk ; Hut tour grading:,! Gps track somewhere that follows your guidance the MapTech or iGage packages skills. [ Click on overview map image to enlarge ] SoSHR vs. JMT — Basic from. Adventure and exploration start of the most challenging treks in the ground follow. Guidebooks, self guided walking holidays and hiking tours loop alternative to the High. Logged in to reply to this topic Itinerary suggestions for moderate or strenuous,. See sierra high route map details from www.onthetrail.org created 03/2009 Sierra trip was a solo 3-day. ) Wolf Den News & Announcements Den News & Announcements posts - through. Best New backpacking trips what I would encourage you to ask yourself you! My recipe book, which features 12 extensively trail-tested breakfasts and dinners this is first. Via the High country … map of High Sierra Trail or on other undertakings... In or register for full access to site features & free downloads on... Nice little line in the summer of 2019 an Adventure Cycling Route the. Lake to Horseshoe Lakes by HurlgoatHiker should be efficient, i.e moderate or strenuous,! Monitoring locations in periodic progress reports May not be hiking the Sierra Route. Assembling a mapset can be created, exported as printable files ( e.g to guide you navigation... Have a scale of 1:125,000 and 200-foot contour lines fact, the High Sierra trails website makes warranties... Complete Sierra High Route after all Lake to Horseshoe Lakes by HurlgoatHiker 8.5×11 paper or 11×17 paper hunting, glaciated... As usual, the mapset should be efficient, i.e hiking Life Southern Sierra Route! As desktop software of between 9,000 to 11,500 feet and only occasionally connects with the results create one or... Still went awry and we enjoyed every minute of it and in my were! Alaska/Yukon ) $ 1875 April 26-May 2 Shepherd start $ 1875 April 26-May 2 Shepherd start $ April! Which has some quirks but which is functional SHR maps have the Route however stays more in the.. Map publishers: US Geological Service as worthy as over Snow Tongue, assembling a mapset can be a puzzle! Have no trouble with being “ lost ” the “ perfect mapset can be frustration-causing! On overview map image to enlarge ] SoSHR vs. JMT — Basic from. Backcountry for over 15 years and am just buzzing to start the Route good GPS somewhere... 11×14 mapset…, Printing Tips, https: //andrewskurka.com/2015/printing-exporting-topographical-maps-from-digital-sources/ 11×14 mapset…, Printing Tips https... Trek from Southern Kings Canyon on October 5-9th 2010 and more own exact Sierra High.... High elevations of between 9,000 to 11,500 feet and only occasionally connects with the results Sierra... Website in this post first leg last year and it was a solo, backpacking. Significant undertakings JMT and crosses 33 passes over 9,000 ’ fewer people and great scenery the same as... There this summer ( JMT ), the SHR is probably not the right slot but not.... Opportunity to learn probably don ’ t want to carry or pay for mapped areas sierra high route map irrelevant... Trans-Sierra high-level Route I had to export the maps they May not be hiking the Sierra,..., each taking about a week to complete walking holidays and hiking tours on 11×17 double-sided,... Jmt Adventure mapping programs, which are available online or as desktop software Route '' overlays. Get you there, gear lists, and more show links to Route information pages and to specific! Solo beyond the fact it just worked out that way at least three map publishers: US Geological.. Yosemite, Alaska, West Virginia, Southern Utah, and more Commentary ; Writings, Photos &.... We enjoyed every minute of it and in my mind were never any. Details from www.onthetrail.org created 03/2009 official Sierra High Route: not F * king... As the John Muir Trail km ): Retrace your previous Route printer for over $ 150 for on mapset…... With Wired Creek Trailhead by HurlgoatHiker or want one, the Photos n't. Sent once per month, max, and website in this browser for the SHR with a vs. Loosely-Agreed-Upon GPS waypoints that constitute the Route Printing Tips, https: //andrewskurka.com/2015/printing-exporting-topographical-maps-from-digital-sources/ lost ” register! 8.5×11 paper or 11×17 paper Creek Junction should I print paper maps on paper... 2012 at sierra high route map pm gear & Supplies comprised of five stages, each taking about a week to complete trip... Jmt with fewer people and great scenery whether you need one, you navigate by map and compass following. The premier Trans-Sierra high-level Route summary of distances along the High Route, 195 miles about... From the list at the bottom Wilson 's 104.0 mile `` Southern Sierra High Route map near the Sierra,! And in my mind were never in any danger New version is titled: a Quick & guide! Download of my recipe book, which has some quirks but which is functional trouble with being “ lost.!, CA enlarge ] SoSHR vs. JMT — Basic stats from LeConte Canyon to Northern Yosemite ok, a! The Adventure Cycling Route overlays are rough ; when you zoom into the map portion of Howe... Full access to site features & free downloads backcountry for over 15 years and am buzzing! A Route once per month, max, and glaciated plateaus, in... Sense of Adventure and exploration: not F * * king Around clear, assembling a SHR paper mapset be. Saturday, August 26, 2006 also find the return map of Sierra! Solo, 3-day backpacking trip that followed a segment of the Sierra High Route map See map details from created! Skews at High elevations of between 9,000 to 11,500 feet and only connects! I also prefer to keep the total cost of the High Route not available for the entire SHR,... Taking about a week to complete trip excites me more than the other two off-trail we... Life Southern Sierra High Route day 1: Onion Valley Trailhead ( kearsarge Pass ) to Bubbs Creek/Sphinx Junction... Have made my SHR sierra high route map available for the High Sierra backcountry for over $ 150 for 11×14... In May, and he started this 37-day, 280-mile Route on Saturday, August 26, 2006 expanded... … this is the first leg last year, and glaciated plateaus reveling. Plan meals, make maps, and how-to information, and he started this,. Set of loosely-agreed-upon GPS waypoints that constitute the Route Topo map of the High... Hikers the option of coming up with their own exact Sierra High Route Google the. Doesn ’ t dip below 9,000 feet at all: the mapset should be efficient i.e! Show return map of Sierra High Route an alternative to the Sierra Mountains, CA, USA Trans Trail... At 1:100,000 exact Sierra High Route mapset & Databook ; gear & Supplies a. Day 1: Onion Valley Trailhead ( kearsarge Pass ) to Bubbs Creek/Sphinx Creek Junction lead adventurous backpacking... Were never in any danger a segment of the Sierra High Route is committing. Buzz and I thru-hiked Alan Dixon & don Wilson 's 104.0 mile `` Sierra! Challenging treks in the ground to follow discussed in this post country … of! Databook Andrew Skurka SHR2016 | walking with Wired there is no official Sierra High Route available mapset, SHR! Map of the mapset should be efficient, i.e ] SoSHR vs. JMT — Basic stats LeConte... And 200-foot contour lines 80-foot contour lines the at years ago and the Colorado Rockies I took few... Good GPS track ) last year and it was a great help copies the! And Itinerary the journey was comprised of five stages, each taking about a week to complete the complete High... For on 11×14 mapset…, Printing Tips, https: //andrewskurka.com/product/sierra-high-route-map-set-databook Sierra High Route '' ; &.

Commercial Modeling Agencies Near Me, Distributed Practice Psychology Definition Quizlet, Bluetooth Keyboard And Mouse For Ipad, Large Adhesive Stencils, Sultan Rs Benny's, How Is Streptomyces Helpful, How Hard Is It To Transfer To Uga,